Speak (“Hello World”) not working with macOS 10.12 beta

I was messing around with my apps with the new macOS 10.12 Beta and I realized that “Speak” does not work anymore either with older Carbon apps or new Xojo Cocoa apps. I was wondering if it has to do with Siri being implemented.

Its kind of an important feature for my customers, so I was wondering if Xojo was aware of the problem, and if there is a way than for Siri to read the text or some other work around?

Speak("Hello World")

Works just fine here under macOS Sierra 10.12 beta in 2016R1.1 and over. I would not know in Carbon, I no longer deal in antiquities…

[quote=273000:@James Redway]I was messing around with my apps with the new macOS 10.12 Beta and I realized that “Speak” does not work anymore either with older Carbon apps or new Xojo Cocoa apps. I was wondering if it has to do with Siri being implemented.

Its kind of an important feature for my customers, so I was wondering if Xojo was aware of the problem, and if there is a way than for Siri to read the text or some other work around?[/quote]
Keep in mind that you’re dealing with a beta operating system. I’d try having AppleScript do the same speak command and see if it works there. If not, file a report with Apple.

You can use NSSpeechSynthesizerMBS class in MBS Plugins if needed.
(we also have a class for Windows)

I just downloaded the Beta yesterday Version 10.12 Beta (16A201W) and Speak does not work. I created an app with Xojo 2016 R1.1. Here is the link

link text

It works fine on my macOS 10.11.4 but not at all on the Beta. I don’t know why it would work for Mitchel and not for me. I’m running the beta on a Mac Pro Mid 2012.

Maybe Greg’s right about being just a beta issue. I will also look into the MBS plugin since I need speech to work.

Dictation and speech is also missing from System Preferences so that may be a factor. There are no regular Mac Voices. Just Siri.

Your test project says “Hello World” to me running Sierra and Xojo 2016r1.

Hi Beatrix,

Maybe the German Beta is different than the US Beta. Do you still have “Dictation and Speech” in System Preferences? Its missing in my beta version.

What happens if you try speaking from another application? For example, using the “say” command in Terminal or selecting some text and using the Edit -> Speech -> Start Speaking menu item.

Hi Joe,

If I go into the Text Edit app, type some text in, highlight it, right click, and click the Speech menu item, Start Speaking … the same thing happens. It does not read the text. So it looks like the entire Text-To-Speech does not work in my beta version. So I guess it is a beta issue. Hopefully they bring in back.

I have the US beta and it speaks very nicely.

Just a hunch : is Siri talking ?

In general when such thing happen, you may want to check your system is simply not muted.

Not my version. System is not muted. Siri is speaking just fine. Music is playing just fine. No Text-To-Speech from any app.

Michel, do you have Dictation and Speech in the System Preferences? I don’t.

Hate to ask, but does this persist through a reboot?

What do you mean ? I have that in Accessibility, but no special setting…

Dictation & Speech was and has been a separate icon in the past versions of OS X. Its in the 4th row and is not the same as Accessibility. Reboot does not work either.

No, I don’t have that here, and yet, the child babbles …

Ha ha… Yet you converse with some of us, I’d consider myself an Antique!

The options are in Accessibility panel on Sierra, but dictation is disabled for me.

Text to Speed works for me. I don’t know if it makes much difference, but I did a clean install this time. I’m hoping that it might be more stable that way.

[quote=273163:@Sam Rowlands]
Text to Speed works for me. [/quote]
Cool !
Wonder when they introduce “Text to Marijuana” or “Text to Coke” :stuck_out_tongue: