Spam Alert

You as experienced geeks probably will not fall for this, but please spread this message around, so that as many users as possible are aware.
If you call the number, they will charge you $140 to “fix your computer”
For which, of course they need your password ……

[quote=278231:@Gerd Wilmer]You as experienced geeks probably will not fall for this, but please spread this message around, so that as many users as possible are aware.
If you call the number, they will charge you $140 to “fix your computer”
For which, of course they need your password ……

[/quote]

Sorry, but i rate a Post like this as Spam in a Forum which is intended for exchanging Xojo stuff.
And linking an Image from your Desktop does not help, unless you grant us access to your Desktop. :wink:

Sorry, if I offended you, but I thought even Xojo users might be interested.
I did not realise that you cannot have the actual image as part of this blog.
As I don’t have a website, I cannot send you the screenshot.

[quote=278234:@Gerd Wilmer]Sorry, if I offended you, but I thought even Xojo users might be interested.
I did not realise that you cannot have the actual image as part of this blog.
As I don’t have a website, I cannot send you the screenshot.[/quote]

Use DropBox.

Thanks, Michael

here is the screenshot

Sorry guys

here is the link

https://xojo.io/c9a9370c12c2

This is a JavaScript that mimics one of the popular hijack malware apps. I would simply:
A) be careful to what sites I surf and
B) force quit Safari.

Whenever such a message happens, force quit the browser. It is not a spam, it is a scam.

On PC, there are several variants that go from peddling a Registry optimizer to downright malevolent, akin to this, or false driver updates that spread malware.

You did not. :slight_smile:

But if we all would start to post in this forum everytime we get Spam/Scam/…, we would not see any other Threads anymore. :wink:

Hi Ulrich

Force quit is the wrong thing to do.
When you restart Safari, you go back to the same site.
Doing a normal Quit opens Safari with a clean sheet

Only thing that works for me.
Those &^%&^% scripts disable everything else.

[quote=278246:@Gerd Wilmer]Hi Ulrich

When you restart Safari, you go back to the same site.
Doing a normal Quit opens Safari with a clean sheet[/quote]

You can reopen Safari on another page with an alias, or by dragging an HTML document on its icon.

The real solution is to disconnect the computer from the internet,
wait until you have control to the computer,
close each and every offending window.

Then, you can power on your internet connection.

Once, I had 50 windows that opens from a simple click in the captcha area…

Now, I position the mouse cursor at the leftmost / topmost monitor area and click like a fool once a window (a popup window) appears.

Also, be aware that popup windows can appears just below your front window: watch carefully the Windows menu (in FireFox, others…) and click in the close (red) button.

DO NOT USE cmd-w / do not click in the OK (or so) BUTTON !!!

At last, if a window appears and tell your Flash version is too old: BEWARE ! especially if you do not have Flash ;-:slight_smile:

You can force Safari to ignore previously-opened tabs/windows by holding down the Shift key (I think) while restarting it.

Also, the latest version of Safari will ask after two (it seems) force-quits.

Gerd, I suggest you use the Controls button in the upper right to move this conversation to the Off-topic section.

done

My last experience with malware is with Chrome and a phony AdBlock Plus in their app store that contains cdn.freefarcy. When I deleted it, it tried to coerce me into installing yet another filth. Since it used a MsgBox with only option OK, I had to force quit.

I reported it, but it is kind of scary. If now Google lets such malware into its store, that will become a massive epidemy.

Finally, I went directly to adblockplus.org and installed from there.

What Chrome add vs other browsers ?

Chrome here, Chrome there, Chrome everywhere !

Even Google.com is infected with scamware, frequently asking me to download the Trojan horse called Chrome. :wink: