Someone Please Create a Xojo Course on Udemy

The more you know the basics, the more advanced you are.

if me would create some videos then i would start with the most request and unresolved issues.
i have two new video cut tools and today i also know how to create subtitles srt files in english.

wow - you spent a lot of time for the xojo community.

yes he did / does
speaks at most XDC conferences, blogs about it, and so on
that he’s not on the MVP list is disappointing

1 Like

Not to mention the part time job that ARBP (Association of REALbasic Professionals) was back in the day. I think I averaged 5-10 hours a week trying to wrangle that beast into being. So yeah, I can’t even begin to count up the number of hours I’ve devoted to Xojo in the last 20 years.

Meh. I’m not that disappointed. Stepping back from the community for a while is probably a good thing for my mental health.

But that doesn’t make a good Udemy course. You have to start with the language but before you can do that you have to show users how to install and get around in the IDE. You’re talking Step F when many users don’t even know about Steps A through E yet.

Go buy one of the Java courses on Udemy (I did). 30 hours in and they haven’t even gotten to their IDE of choice yet (Eclipse) and all of that time was just learning the language basics. Only then do you start on teaching you how to do classes and all that fun stuff. And only after that do they teach you anything about building a UI, or about databases, or any other advanced topic.

Come up with syllabus. Then example projects. Then record yourself. Delete the recording because you hate the way you did it. Re-record it. Edit out all the stupid stuff you say, and then finally you can upload it. Then getting the transcript for closed captions isn’t as easy as one would hope either.

It’s not a simple or fast process.

agree the list can be longer … i am sure Bob Keeney got enough appreciation anyway.

This is such a nebulous thing. The reason why they are the most requested and unresolved is that they are freaking hard to teach people how to do it. Is the person already pretty knowledgable about Xojo? Great! If not, then you have to teach them everything else to understand what you did.

somehow yes if a beginner would start learning xojo and don’t care the manual.
i think people will start searching for help videos if they hit a obstacle and need to solve a special topic.
i found a book that i started long ago, i have a idea of topics.
for everyday programming there are always the same tasks u need to dominate.

[quote=473037:@Markus Rauch]somehow yes if a beginner would start learning xojo and don’t care the manual.
i think people will start searching for help videos if they hit a obstacle and need to solve a special topic.
i found a book that i started long ago, i have a idea of topics.
for everyday programming there are always the same tasks u need to dominate.[/quote]

you would think but just peruse the forums and take a look at how many questions get asked that ARE covered in the manuals
they abound

the other issue is that even if the topic is covered in the manual until someone goes through them they dont have the right terms to express what it is they are trying to do
so they need to have the basics down before they can talk about the problem

for people coming from and existing programming language the comcepts are mostly transferrable - and its a matter of learning how to accomplish a specific technique in Xojo instead of what ever else they used before
but they already know a lot of the terminology of programming

today people dont read the manuals - mostly
they just hop on the forums/twitter/facebook or whatever and ask the question and someone will post code in a bit
and off they go until they get to another problem and then they ask again
I’m not sure anyone actually learns that much by cutting and pasting code snippets

[quote=473041:@Norman Palardy]today people dont read the manuals - mostly
they just hop on the forums/twitter/facebook or whatever and ask the question and someone will post code in a bit
and off they go until they get to another problem and then they ask again[/quote]

There’s probably a reason for that :slight_smile:

not reading what IS already available first

today i visited the udemy page.
they force me to speak english and subtitles are not allowed.
the voice in video must be synchron. post-processing would be difficult then.
some kind of quality standard.

Guess what!
i bought a green background to use chroma key for video cut and photos and a new hd web cam. :slight_smile:

I only used a green screen once in my 200+ videos and that was to introduce myself. With a programming course no one wants to see ‘you’, they want to see code. But you do you and good luck.

that is true. it have other usage for me too.

Nothing is more annoying than best sound quality. And udemy has very high standards (or in other words: it pretty much depends on who will review your test video). Whoever wants to start with a course on undemy, I suggest to first produce a test video and getting it reviewed by them. This alone can be very frustrating. I compare it to the Apple Store. They might reject your video without clear advice what needs to be improved. I made it through their procedures a while ago, but it is was hard work.

Making money out of it, is almost impossible, as udemy has their only algorithms to push “important” (sellable) content. I doubt that xojo will become their next hot subject, even if all the forum members would push the topic. Nevertheless, I do agree that a solid course would highly increase the visibility of Xojo.

[quote=473298:@Jeannot Muller]
Making money out of it, is almost impossible, as udemy has their only algorithms to push “important” (sellable) content. I doubt that xojo will become their next hot subject, even if all the forum members would push the topic. [/quote]

This is precisely why “create a course on udemy” is unlikely to happen without some kind of sponsorship from those who have a vested interest in making it happen (maybe Xojo or xDev, etc)
Its how the Introduction to Programming with Xojo got created.
Xojo sponsored its writing.

1 Like

I use Udemy from time to time for several subjects, although watching video can be annoying if you have a monotonous presenter, and do I prefer good pdf documentation. Of course I have to pay for each course. Don’t know which part of this price goes to the teacher, but let’s say it’s 50%. Not that much but it is at least $6 each purchase, often more. You need only 100 purchases to play break even is my opinion. Gues making courses for Udemy can be profitable, and also important, gives easy access to Xojo for newbies. I’d like Xojo to be better known because it should lead to more development capacity and better acceptance by our customers / end users.

I would pay $100.00 for a spiral bound documentation set that went from rank amateur to mid level programming with Xojo.

[quote=435228:@Bob Keeney]
I figured it out one time that for every minute of video there is 10 minutes of off-screen work. I have 65+ hours of video. You do the math. :([/quote]

I think you’d be seriously undervaluing Bob’s time