Some questions about saving "prefs", date/calendar controls, Exif information

First of all, I consider myself a Xojo newbie - I did some RB development a long time ago but haven’t done anything with Xojo so I’m severely “out of touch”. Anyway, I want to build a few programs for my own use and I’m looking for different components:

• Saving “preference files” and/or document files. I used to have my own framework for this that saved any kind of data into a binary file but it’s gone … and there should be better way to do it. What is the recommended way to store info today? plist files, XML, json … something else? Are there any ready made classes that makes it easier do to? (For example, I think that there used to be some class(es) for using the plist format.)

• Date/calendar controls. It looks like these are still missing. I used to use Einhugurs plugins for this and I see that they are still around. Are they still a good alternative? Something else?

• Exif info - is there some library that allows me to read exif/iptc info without having to code it myself.

• There are many discussions on this forum about “preference” files, and everyone has their own “preference”… I personally created class that uses a format similar to the windows INI file. It works cross platform. Others here will indicate they like any one of a number of things, including all the ones you mentioned.

• Date/Calendar, again discussed over and over… Einhugar has some, Mike Cotrone also has one that seems to be quite popular.

• EXIF… I have not found any thing that can deal with this natively… and use the tool found at
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/index.html"

I use a small Sqlite database for preferences. It’s cross platform, at least for Windows and Linux, the two platforms for which I develop stuff.

Good to know that some things are the same :smiley:

OK, I’ll probably write my own class for this.

MBS has a few plugins which will allow you to read/write exif data. I’ve been using the ImageMagick library plugin for this and a number of other useful features. It’s cross platform and fairly easy to understand.

Our plugins come with an example for saving prefs using an encrypted SQLite Database.

See
http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/example-main-preferenceswithlocaldatabase.shtml

Is this documented somewhere, I checked the manual for the ImageMagick plugin (“MBS ImageMagick Plugin.pdf”) but the only reference I could find to exif was how to compile a PHP library.

[quote=266218:@Christian Schmitz]Our plugins come with an example for saving prefs using an encrypted SQLite Database.

See
http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/example-main-preferenceswithlocaldatabase.shtml[/quote]

Thanks for the example

Using the “proper” form on each platform isn’t that hard
And IF you want proper system caching etc of preferences then DO NOT WRITE YOUR OWN !
This is true on OS X.
OS X uses a daemon that does cache certain values so if you use a preferences pane etc or use defaults write to change a preference it gets properly cached, conveyed to your app, etc.

And its easy enough to write a set of classes, one for OS X, one for Windows, one for Linux that all implement an interface that you can then use generically and get a proper CFPreferences form on OS X, registry entries (or ini file if you want) on Windows, & something else on Linux (maybe an ini form or not)

The IDE actually does it this way and from the outside there is one set of preferences that it uses and doesn’t care what the underlying representation is.
The skeleton we use is like

Module Preferences
               private sub read()
                        if mPreferencesProvider is nil then mPreferencesProvider = GetProvider
                        mPreferencesProvider.Read
                end sub
               private sub write()
                        if mPreferencesProvider <> nil then mPreferencesProvider.Write
                end sub
               private sub GetProvider()
                        #if targetmacos
                                return new macPrefsProvider
                         #elseif targetwindows
                                return new winPrefsProvider
                         #elseif targellinux
                                return new linPrefsProvider
                          #endif
                end sub          

private interface PreferencesProvider
                        sub read()
                        sub write()
                        sub readBoolean(name as string, defaultValue as boolean)
                        sub writeBoolean(name as string, alue as boolean)
                          // ... etc for whatever types you need - strings , integers, arrays of items etc
               end interface

private class macPrefsProvider implements PreferencesProvider
                        sub read()
                             //  declares / macoslib or MBS code to read CFpreferences (usuall just need to open them)
                        end sub
                        sub write()
                             //  declares / macoslib or MBS code to write CFpreferences (usually if they are dirty)
                        end sub 

private property CFPreferencesHandles as integer
               end class

private class winPrefsProvider implements PreferencesProvider
                        sub read()
                        sub write()
                                   //  xojo / declares / WFS or MBS code to READ REGISTRY value & return it
                                   //  xojo / declares / WFS or MBS code to write REGISTRY (usually if they are dirty)
                end class

private class linPrefsProvider implements PreferencesProvider
                        sub read()
                        sub write()
              end class

all “preferences” then go through the module - ie we have a navigator font size preference like

Integer NavigatorFontSize
                     Get
                           return prefs.ReadInteger("NavigatorFontSize", 11) // actually we use a dynamic integer const here 
                                                                                                                    // so we can have differing values on OS X linux & Windows
                     end get
                     Set
                             prefs.WeadInteger("NavigatorFontSize", value) 
                     end get

Sorry, take that back, I use GraphicsMagick not ImageMagick. GM is an offshoot of IM but has some additional features. Look in the MBS Examples/GraphicsMagick/ folder for the GM Exif example project.

For OS X the CGImageSourceMBS class provides EXIF.
For cross platform things, GraphicsMagick helps.