Software Rental

Just curious if Xojo has any plans in the future to rent their software on a monthly or yearly basis similar to the way AppMethod works?

I hope not!!!

• Karen

I’m actually all for this. Kind of like how Adobe Creative Cloud works. Easier to part with $35-50 a month than $500+ at one time, most of the time. Xojo would have to completely change their use-for-free approach and licensing scheme though, which I don’t see them doing; otherwise, most people would just use the free version for development… then only subscribe for one month to enable compiling… then cancel/freeze their subscription. I don’t see that being feasible for them.

I agree. when you are renting the software from month to month, at any time they can cancel your agreement and close shop. And you dont have the software. At least with this method, we have the software an if Xojo goes away next week (which none of us hope), we all still have the software.

This likely isn’t the case. They validate your license and the systems you have them installed via a remote session. Your application may appear to be working fine for awhile, but I assume it would eventually stop working without some verification from this system.

You assume incorrectly
There are people who put their license on a USB key & have to walk it into a machine that is totally unconnected to the outside world and they just work. Indefinitely.

[quote=138140:@Norman Palardy]You assume incorrectly
There are people who put their license on a USB key & have to walk it into a machine that is totally unconnected to the outside world and they just work. Indefinitely.[/quote]

Ah, didn’t know that. How do you guys enforce the ‘up to 3 computers’ then? If you can’t, why even keep track of it on your side… because I know I’ve personally had to reformat my system before and login to remove it as all my licenses were being used up.

Magic :stuck_out_tongue:

special Canadian magic that they import for us. :slight_smile:

I sent the product to the lab for review. Lab results came back with Canadian Bacon & Syrup being the top ingredient. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t think it’s magic… I just don’t think it’s possible to know if a system is using a license unless it’s connected. If they never connect, then you’d never know (common sense). It falls back to an Honor Based system. Good to know though, on the off chance you guys do disappear (which I don’t see happening) or I decide to move into a cave away from humanity (which I see more of a chance of happening, and getting more likely every day I turn on the news).

No Canadian Whiskey? I’m out…

I knew it :wink:

For our products we have a similar sort of a (you can install this on up to N machines) system that I built. But, not being Canadian, I used sorcery instead of magic.

[quote=138150:@Eric Brown]Don’t think it’s magic… I just don’t think it’s possible to know if a system is using a license unless it’s connected. If they never connect, then you’d never know (common sense). It falls back to an Honor Based system.
[/quote]
Yes there is no 100% way to guarantee that you abide & still can use it unconnected forever
IF the IDE killed your ability to use it when the license expired that would ruin the “buy & use forever aspects”
And we’re not willing to do that
For alpha & beta we DO require that you CAN connect so we can verify you ARE a beta tester etc
They don’t start otherwise

I get this feeling when I check Twitter, FaceBook, etc
I don’t watch the news :stuck_out_tongue:

Magic is just sorcery with an IDE (e.g. funny hat, rune staff, grey beard) :wink:

I dunno about Rich’s lab but a good bottle of Canadian whiskey ALWAYS helps
It certainly makes the results more palatable

Well … after a bottle you just don’t give a damn :slight_smile:

I like how Xojo does it, you pay for a yearly update license and at the end of it, you can still use what ever version you were using when your license expires.

I’ve heard a lot of people are also happy with a small amount each month. Personally what I dislike is at the end you have nothing. It works for companies like Adobe, because you have to keep paying. Photoshop CC 2014 is broken (JPEG issues), but who cares as I have to keep paying for last years version.

I would like a mixture - buy the software and then pay monthly for updates. But I guess some people would only pay on the months where there are releases, so quarterly would probably be the minimum time.

Contra: It would be - forgive me - a stupid idea. Adobe can do it because it has a monopoly, every professional graphics designer has to use it, and for businesses it is often advantageous to spread the payments and be up-to-date.

Microsoft is trying it and it “might” work for them due to their business clients, but a lot of normal users stick with old versions or are already jumping ship. When the cheap introduction period is over then you will see a massive drop in users of Office365, and when the old versions no longer run users will go to alternatives like OpenOffice.

Xojo simply does not corner the market, and going to the monthly subscription model will cut them off at the knees. The subscription model for software is widly loathed (sometimes irrationally so) so no new users will come in, non-professionals will stick with old versions and start leaving, and Xojo will be dead within a few years. Raising prices to the professional user’s pain threshold might give it an extra few months, but then exitus is unavoidable.

Pro: it could work. Make it cheap ($10-20 a month) and normal users could hide it on their grocery bill (no more discussions with the better/worse half). Business users can spread their expenses. You could have trial periods of 1 or 3 month subscriptions to convince new users of the benefits.

Mobile phones, Adobe, and Microsoft have already set a precedent, and anchored monthly payments as a viable alternative in users’ subconscious so it is not a completely foreign idea to them.