Software for Typing on a Webinar?

I’m looking for a piece of (Mac) software that will type pre-recorded phrases on the screen for me.

Something like TextExpander BUT: It will be used to grab screencasts and do webinars. I want it to give the impression of nice neat typed speedy w/o mistakes in realtime. (I love TextExpander but it slaps the entire test stream up in light speed)

Half an hour on google don’t give me what I was looking for. SO I’m asking here.

I’m don’t know whether such software exists or not. If you are using ScreenFlow to create your screencasts, you can speed up the section in which you type to make it appear faster. You can also just remove mistakes you make in your typing in post editing

[quote=339296:@Jay Menna]I’m looking for a piece of (Mac) software that will type pre-recorded phrases on the screen for me.

Something like TextExpander BUT: It will be used to grab screencasts and do webinars. I want it to give the impression of nice neat typed speedy w/o mistakes in realtime. (I love TextExpander but it slaps the entire test stream up in light speed)

Half an hour on google don’t give me what I was looking for. SO I’m asking here.[/quote]
How about Keynote. You can apply a transition called Typewriter to a block of text and get exactly what you’re asking for.

I need to type into a XOJO web app!

Oh, well then write your own routine to produce the effect you need. Don’t think that would be hard at all.

Ah, so we’re not talking code, you’re wanting to fill out fields?

The problem you may have is if these programs don’t trigger key or textfield change events. Remember the grief you had with password managers? Same rules will apply here.

You could still do this with Keynote though using still frames of the empty screens and then place text fields on top of the places that you want to fill out and apply typewriter transitions to them. Here’s an example.

Isn’t this looking like sub-titles ?

depends on what webinar software you’re going to use but several have options for doing subtitles

Take a video file, add a text file beside it with a srt extension (name of the video file + “.srt”), fire VLC and load the video file, then click “run”.

Of course, the srt file contents follows a syntax (with between others, the time when the text will be displayed).

You might be able to use Keyboard Maestro if you just want something to do “typing”. It s very flexible and can simulate typing although it might not be slow enough. It can also do all sorts of other things and could trigger different output based on different keystrokes.

If you can work with video snippets then you may want to look at videoscribe.

From their French web page:

scribe comes from the verb to scribe…

scribe is a French word that comes from latin scriba. Schreiber is the German version.

I nearly die when I read that.

Nota: I still do not really understand what videoscribe, but it does not matter to me ;-:slight_smile:
(I was just curious).

[quote=339461:@Emile Schwarz]<…>
Nota: I still do not really understan what videoscribe, but it does not matter to me ;-:slight_smile:
(I was just curious).[/quote]
FYI : Videoscribe is normally used to create a handwriting effect in presentations or videos. One could omit the hand and just use the writing effect with a custom font.

For an example of the handwriting effect, see here:
http://www.vimeo.com/seminarpro/intro

Otherwise, if one googles for “typewriter effect” then there are many links on how to achieve this with presentation software like Powerpoint etc.

Oliver: nice ! thanks.