small question on performance

Yeah, agreed, I’m just curious if the stuff that comes after the Then in each If style is dealt with differently, thus going some way to explaining Rob’s original issue. Not important, as he has an easy workaround but still curious :slight_smile:

Let us know if you try on r3 with the same result. Again, just out of curiosity.

(Too much curiosity…)

I’d expect both sequences of text (1 liner vs 3) to produce the exact same AST and therefore compile into the same machine code.

Hmm, I guess if they produce the same machine code I can just compare the built executable bytes. Pre-LLVM there is no difference in the executable between 1 liner vs 3 (except for 17-19bytes that change even for the same code).

With LLVM I can only test debug builds where lots of bytes change between 1 liners and 3, but that also happens in Pre-LLVM debugs. Maybe someone with a current license can compare the built machine code, or a Xojo engineer can speak of any difference or sameness.

[quote=288139:@Gavin Smith]Let us know if you try on r3 with the same result. Again, just out of curiosity.

(Too much curiosity…)[/quote]
Hi Gavin, I will make the change again and try…will let you know…

All, for your information: I Use DoDebug about 25 times, so 25 times it goes to the Logs module and writes the module name and if it starts/stops and which template it is using (defers per received file from the internet)

Currently with Xojo2016r3 it is running quick as it should be, with the 3 lines if…end if block.

I will test it soon again with the oneliner and I will let the timing show in a msgbox for verification. :slight_smile: