Small graphics in resource folder

I am having a bunch of *.png file in the resource folder since these are in my navigator for puting on bevel buttons, canvas backdrops etc.
Actually I don’t have problem with the resource folder but one could easily replace, see, and steal an icon.
Since I am having a configuration- and a query-database (sqlite) next to my applications’ folder, I was thinking about storing these graphics into a database file. What would be best practice ?

Download Simon’s MakeGraphicsModule .

It makes a module with all your pictures (in a folder)
Import the Module into your Xojo Project and you have all pictures as string constants.

Asked Simon to provide again since his link is giving 404
Thanks a lot for the hint Axel.

There’s pros & cons to doing this. For instance if you leave them as separate files in the resources folder, the OS can easily load the correct artwork on demand.

If you use a different system, then you must handle the Retina resources yourself.

Also with separate files, you can probably achieve better compression with third party tools.

I’ve also seen competitors apps (to mine) who store the image data in their app binary, making it over 50mb in file size. Which means that there’s plenty of bloat in the memory space as the images are loaded into memory twice (as well as everything else the app may need).

[quote=212520:@Sam Rowlands]Also with separate files, you can probably achieve better compression with third party tools.

there’s plenty of bloat in the memory space as the images are loaded into memory twice[/quote]
Good points. You could encrypt the png files then. Still would need to manually handle retina, unless there’s some encryption option in loading images there.

You could ask Andreas from https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker to add support for Xojo.

There may be, I’m just not aware of any.

Personally, I would be asking why do you want to encrypt the images to begin with? Are we talking exclusive content, such as clipart or simply you don’t want anyone stealing your app icons?

I like that Xojo doesn’t try to force this. It allows me to prettify/personalize some places…

and make others easier to discriminate with my old eyes