Slowing down Mac

This will seem strange, but I want to be able to slow down my Mac. It usually is the opposite, according to my searches over the Internet.

I have an app with scrolling that looks quite allright, but I am afraid it may not perform well enough on older Macs. So I want to make sure without going out and buying a used machine just for that purpose.

So far, all I found was to launch VMWare fusion, which is heavy enough to take processing power. But do you know of an app somewhere that would be able to get a modern iMac to act as an older generation processor ?

If you run your app from within the IDE, with Profiling turned on, it will run quite a bit more slowly.

You may also want to invest in a slow mac to test with. Personally, I like the 2009-era MacBooks, as they can be had for about $300 and they run 10.6 thru 10.9.

[quote=40480:@Michael Diehr]I like the 2009-era MacBooks, as they can be had for about $300 and they run 10.6 thru 10.9.

[/quote]

Up to 10.9 ? Are you sure ? Anyway, $300 is really affordable. I have not shopped for used Macs in a while. I shall check this out. Any good used Mac vendor I should visit besides eBay ?

I tried turned profiling on and apparently, my app does not show signs of slowing down too much…

A great resource is http://www.everymac.com which has comprehensive lists of all models including the oldest and newest OS software each one can run.

Well, 10.9 is not out yet, so I wouldn’t take anything you hear as 100% for sure.

Here’s a recent deal I saw : http://www.megamacs.com/index.php?action=frameview&id=404883564 (no endorsement implied, just something I found on the web).

[quote=40442:@Michel Bujardet]This will seem strange, but I want to be able to slow down my Mac. It usually is the opposite, according to my searches over the Internet.

I have an app with scrolling that looks quite allright, but I am afraid it may not perform well enough on older Macs. So I want to make sure without going out and buying a used machine just for that purpose.

So far, all I found was to launch VMWare fusion, which is heavy enough to take processing power. But do you know of an app somewhere that would be able to get a modern iMac to act as an older generation processor ?[/quote]
You could also run OS X inside VMWare. That would let you control the number of CPUs and amount of memory that’s available. That may let you try out some other scenarios.