Slow connectivity with fast speed test

Using a Xojo desktop application with a remote Postgres database. One office location has four or five desktops (all hardwired to ethernet) complaining of a sudden slowness of program across the entire network (obviously due to slowness of data transmission). I did a remote log in (which worked fine) and went to speedtest.net and discovered 30mb download speed (which should be plenty of bandwidth). Browsing seems fine, but loaded up the program and even small data lists were very slow. I didn’t wait for upload speeds (because I was extremely pressed for time). I did download another copy of the application which didn’t take long at all (15Mb took maybe 10 seconds or so).

They do have a network with routers (two) and switches (which I didn’t set up) and I am thinking that one of their hardware pieces is starting to fail. Has anyone ever seen something like this where browsing and speed tests are normal but database access is slow? I just thought it was weird that browsing and remote access was so fast and database access was slow.

When you’re using speedtest.net or https://fast.com/, you’re only testing port 80 or port 443. You would need to test whatever port you’re accessing your database on. Are you using a VPN tunnel, or other? Network managers can place different priorities on certain traffic. It might be worth sitting down with their network manager to discuss the issue, especially if you’re seeing a change in behavior.

Switched one of their computers to wifi and things improved dramatically. I believe one of their network hardware pieces is beginning to fail.

if is windows check for antivirus or similar that checking the incoming/outgoing ports.If NOT then check the Mtu Buffer from the ethernet cards.Start from 1400 and go up until 1498.
IF none of this above then maybe the router have limits on packets in/out…
Factory reset on the router some times working :wink:

[quote=272283:@Loannis Kolliageorgas]if is windows check for antivirus or similar that checking the incoming/outgoing ports.If NOT then check the Mtu Buffer from the ethernet cards.Start from 1400 and go up until 1498.
IF none of this above then maybe the router have limits on packets in/out…
Factory reset on the router some times working ;)[/quote]
Thanks. I do try to adjust MTU on my routers. Unfortunately, they’ll have to call their IT guy since they don’t even know their router password.