size of runtime in a distributed application

Hello,

(1) What is the minimum file size of a compiled XOJO application? I mean including the XOJO runtime environment per platform?

(2) Is it possible to compile a XOJO application in one monolithic executable (including the runtime environment)? Or how is the file structure of the compiled application stored?

Sorry, but in the unregistered demo we cannot compile and test these basics by ourselves. A time restricted version of the IDE might also help for such self-studies and seeding processes.

Regards
Falk Jahr

1. This is pretty meaningless, because with plugins the app size can go up pretty quick. An empty Cocoa app is 4 MB, my own application with manual, database helper files etc. is 90 MB.
  2. Windows no, Mac yes, Linux no clue.

HTH

Thanks Beatrix,

The application we want to write is only a simple Form (including a web control) with some TCP/IP communications…
No further plugins nothing… Still approximately 4 MByte?

MS Win: We have no imagination how the app-structure looks like after compilation. Is there any way to obtain a XOJO demo license key to test and analyze these compiler issues for our purposes?

(2) Is it possible to compile a XOJO application in one monolithic executable (including the runtime environment)? Or how is the file structure of the compiled application stored?

Use an .exe compressor, you can include dll’s and/or helper files. The compressor delivers one (1) executable with all files contained.
Pro: small executable, no extra files (compared to Xojo’s Windows .exe’s)
Con: one way only, sometimes strange behaviour

I’ve used .exe compressors for years (Delphi). Do not know how they behave with a Xojo executable.

You can look at the debug app while your app is run from Xojo to get a feel for the app size and layout.

Alexander, EXE compressors have no meaning for Macs. Xojo is a different beast. It does not statically join selectively libraries and do some optimizations for size as Delphi did. Maybe with LLVM it will decrease the size a little bit. But depending on big, not optimizable libraries (Plugins), added integrally to the build, it just can’t get small apps.

No its not
Some people have had success with packaging tools on Windows

Have a peek at your app when you debug it
The packaging is the same