Size of minimal application for Mac

I built my first Mac application: I placed PushButton into the Window. The Action handles consists in one line:

The application has a size of 9.3 MB. Is this normal or can it be reduced?

Normal.
The built app includes a number of required runtime support libraries & frameworks.
But as you add code & controls your app won’t grow rapidly either.

It can be reduced, the Xojo framework includes 32-Bit and 64-Bit code. Whichever one you’re not using can be stripped.

The equivalent VB6 hello world program will be about 50k, but the runtime support will be about 20mb.

in the 1970’s, you did your best to reduce code/data size requirements (including removing whitespace, and cramming as much on one line as possible)… but then you had 48k (yes “K”) and if really lucky 64K (both minus whatever OS you were running). You learned how to chain programs together so only part of the code was in memory (and hoped your COMMON statement was correct).

TODAY… when you have Gigabytes upon Gigabytes of memory… 10meg footprint is chump change…that is barely 1% of the memory available.

Yesterday you could get TWO programs in memory (your code, and the OS)… today… you have 1000’s (counting all the OS processes running)

Sorry Dave, I am still sick in the 70s with my Hendrix and Led Zep records. It was a time where 64k of RAM was ‘more than any person could need’.

I started in this business in the mid 70’s… and one evening (circa 1976 maybe)… my wife and I were going for a walk, and I broached the subject of wanting to get a 10meg Harddrive for my Atari ST computer.

(and I still kid her about that to this very day)… but truth be told… I never did fill it up.

Yet today… I have maybe 40 TERAbytes of HD space spread around my office (and ironicaly it cost not that much more than that 10meg shoebox did)

All that new music
Need to go back at least another decade :slight_smile:

[quote=303009:@Dave S]I started in this business in the mid 70’s… and one evening (circa 1976 maybe)… my wife and I were going for a walk, and I broached the subject of wanting to get a 10meg Harddrive for my Atari ST computer.
[/quote]
Maybe 86
The ST was released in 1985

So was I! But that’s another story :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks so far for so many replies :slight_smile:

What I expected was debugging symbols were embedded and could be stripped as I know it from C++Builder or Delphi. (BTW: I started programming in that era when 640 KB was the magic limit – guess on what platform ;)). But final sizes of production binaries are not my problem. I’m currently evaluating building for Mac on Windows and the only Mac computer I have access to runs an OS version that is not supported any more by Xojo (2016r4). The next I can try is emailing the binary to a friend, and now 9+MB for a message box saying hello seems a bit heavy…

I currently send to my customers xojo apps that are 21MB in size via emails and it is ok
just compact them before, 7zip is more compact than simple zip and it can be send by email.
there are also lots of services around to send binaries that are too big for emails.
21MB becomes 6.1MB with 7zip for example.

Wolf:

you can put your upload your test application there:

https://www.sendspace.com/

but you will have to create a document on how to download it and send it to your user(s).

This is free, but I will not be good if you have sensible data / application to share.

Another option… if the idea is for your friend to test your program… zip the source code and send THAT to him
assuming that might be an option… if the idea is to send him a “finished” product, then look into what Emile suggested… but in any case ZIP will make the package smaller for transportation