Sir Clive Sinclair RIP

After a long illness, Sir Clive Sinclair has passed away at his home in the UK. For many Brits and Europeans, a ZX81 or ZX Spectrum computer was their path way into computing. (In the States, these were rebadged as Timex machines.)

If you haven’t seen it, check out the BBC’s brilliant Micro Men drama, based on the battle between Acorn Computers and Sinclair.

Life is short, folks. Find time to enjoy the simple things in life before it’s too late, and don’t take yourself too seriously (no-one else does!)

15 Likes

Sir Clive was a genius and will forever be remembered. I learned BASIC on a ZX81. And one of the funniest things I ever saw was 10 Sinclair C5 electric vehicles being tested going on a main roundabout in Coventry during rush hour, causing major traffic chaos. Hilarious.

RIP Sir Clive.

5 Likes

That’s sad, I only lost my dad a few weeks ago, Sir Clive I will remember as fondly, my first computer was a Sinclair ZX80 with 1K of ram.

Rest In Peace Clive.

3 Likes

There was a magical feeling around home computers back then and I remember it fondly.

I learned basic then machine code programming on a Spectrum.

RIP Sir Clive.

1 Like

Rest In Peace, especially in the knowledge that you Sir, helped create a whole generation of programmers, providing inspiration, prospects and hope to many. I for one, and I am truly grateful. I still have my ZX Spectrum as it was my first 'puter.

1 Like

In 1981 I bought a Sinclair ZX81, I was 16 … This got me totally hooked on computers and programming at that point and it still does . Thank you Clive Sinclair RIP :cry:

1 Like

1k was more than enough haha :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was fine for a little Z80 assembly, but you couldn’t do much with the built in basic interpreter… :grinning:

When I was a youngster I lived in Cambridge and would regularly see Clive Sinclair out on his morning jog down Grange Road and off into Grantchester. He would stride along at quite a pace. On a windy day his comb-over would flap around his head like Biggles’ scarf :laughing:

1 Like

Well, I was already trained in the mainframes world when I was 14yo, but ZX81 has put me in the path of the microcomputers, directly from the UK to Brazil. A British friend I had, Dr. Alan Sidney Bragg, that worked at the same company as me, presented me a wonderful new machine that he bought when he was on vacation at his homeland, a ZX-81. I think that I passed more time with that ZX than Dr.Alan. One year later, 1982, I bought a Brazilian clone of it, a TK-82C. Still have it stored somewhere in a box here. I wasn’t too interested in the BASIC, but the Z80 Assembly. I did crazy things in Z80 in many different machines after that, specially the Brazilian TRS80 like, the CP500. I also owned a Z80 MSX before being dragged into the Intel x86 world. I refuse to click a “love” icon for his death. I already said it, discourse have a full configurable set of reaction icons. Please, Xojo, implement it. I would click on this one: :cry:

Thank you for sharing this thread. Sir Clive Sinclair was a true inventor and his views were far ahead of his times. The war between Sinclair and Acorn was very regretfully. Imagine if they worked together, what could have been.

Myself, I learned computing and programming on an Acorn BBC-B with 32K of memory. It’s very regretfully that both companies do no longer exist.

But like the video says, almost every smartphone has an ARM chip. Even the Mac’s get ARM chips which were invented by… a small British company named “Acorn”. At the time they referred to it as a “pipeline” with 3 compartments.

So even Apple is now using British technology.

Thank you Sir Clive Sinclair for your legacy and kept the fire burning. Rest In Peace.

Chris

1 Like

Oh my, yes, the ZX80/81 & Spectrum were my first owned computers. The hours programming, saving to cassette and it would never read back, the wobbly RAM packs.

RIP Sir Clive. As you ride around on your C5, knowing no truck can crush it now.

I interviewed Clive several times when I edited Personal Computer World magazine in the UK. He was always polite and willing to talk about almost any subject. I also attended the Press launch of the Spectrum. At that time some computer makers were slow to deliver the goods, with delays of up to weeks before people received their orders. Naturally, the question of delivery times arose. “If you order one today, you’ll receive it in two weeks,” said Clive. I couldn’t resist it! Since the Press pack included an order form, I filled it in and at the end of the Press conference I handed it to Clive, remarking that I was expecting to get my Spectrum within two weeks. He looked rather startled and stuffed the order form into a pocket. Naturally, I still hadn’t received my Spectrum after the two weeks had elapsed. I called the Sinclair PR person, who said that Clive had lost my order form and would I please send in another. “Does this mean I’m going to receive two Spectrumes?” I asked. “No, of course not,” Of course yes, two arrived. I sent one back and got a refund. Happy days.

1 Like

My parents took me to the launch of the C5 in London and, on some crazy whim, decided to buy one. A few weeks later I was trundling around North London on it and even did my paper round in it with the papers in the ‘boot’.
I remember being stopped by the police one time but they were just curious to have a look at it.

Fun times!
RIP Sir Clive

3 Likes

Nobody seems to remember the Sinclair QL with its MC68008 CPU and a whopping 128 KB of RAM … That was my first computer – not the first computer I wrote programs for as that would have been a PDP-10, but the first computer I’ve owned. I did a lot of assembly language programming on the QL after I realised it wasn’t so different from programming a PDP-10 oder PDP-11.

In the 1980s Sir Clive did experiment with wafer-scale integration and it was supposed the upshot of these developments could be some kind of solid-state disk for the QL but the R&D efforts fizzled out. I never heard about wafer-scale integration ever again, except in an episode of Midsomer Murders (‘The Glitch’).

I remember the QL. We had several of them in the office. It was very short lived though and died when Amstrad took over Sinclair.

My first computer(ZX 81 + 16K Ram Extension) is always on y desktop close to my new iMac M1 (16Go Ram). Thank you Sir Sinclair :pray:

2 Likes

Hi I had a QL and somebody upgraded the memory…
But the keyboard was a pain…( compared to PCs)
But the world was asking for MS-DOS.
So I went to PCs .

I had also a ZX81 and got a keyboard from a terminal, which I wired to fit to the ZX81.

RIP Sir Clive

1 Like

RIP mr. Sinclair … nothing in our newspapers about him. Thanks for posting it here.

I started with a ZX Spectrum, played The Hobbit, coded a word processor and teached Spectrum Basic on a school.

I had those tape drives with it, too. Those were really nice.

Memory lane … I scanned the book and my course from back then and put them on my website.

I really loved the machine.

Hello Michael
QL its still there ( http://sinclairql.net/ ) , I tried the emulator on my pc,
I still have one of these tape cartridges … It works, but its a tape with all its good and bads. And there was also the option to link the qls together….
Foto am 21.09.21 um 11.25

Rainer

1 Like
Forum for Xojo Programming Language and IDE. Copyright © 2021 Xojo, Inc.