Simple SQL Formatter

Does anyone have a XOJO method that will take a string of SQL and return a somewhat “pretty” formatted version?
Looking for something that can handle standard statements, and it needs to be non-declare oriented Xojo code.

If someone has something that I can drop it to my project, and it works for my needs, I’ll give you a lifetime license to the project it would go in.
(what that project is, will be under wraps for another week or so :slight_smile: )

preferably without using a webservice…

I just completed my SQLBuilder project that will let you write SQL like this:

dim rs as RecordSet = _
  SQLBuilder_MTC.SQLSelect ( "" ) _
  .From( "table" ) _
  .Where( "col1", 3 ) _
  .OrWhere( "col2", "<>", 4 ) _
  .CondOrWhere( firstName <> "", "first_name", firstName ) _
  .Prepare( db ).SQLSelect

You can also just convert that to a string instead of using Prepare, if you prefer, and it will be formatted with the indents and placeholders for your database.

Does that help?

I am looking for some that (super simple example) can take this

s="SELECT a.id,count(*) as cnt FROM table1 a, table2 b WHERE a.id=b.id and a.thing>b.thing GROUP BY a.id ORDER by a.id"
t=formatSQL(s)

where “T” would be something like this

of course I’d hope it could handle subquery and bracketed expressions too

I “could” just insert EOL before/after certain keywords… but in reality it would be more complicated than that.

I’m not aware of anything like that, and even the web service isn’t perfect. My code would require you to rewrite this as:

s = SQLBuilder_MTC.SQLSelect ( "a.id, count(*)" ).From( "table1 a" ).From( "table2 b" ).WhereRaw( "a.id = b.id" ).WhereRaw( "a.thing>b.thing" ).GroupBy( "a.id" ).OrderBy( "a.id").ToString

The output would be:

SELECT
  a.id, count(*)
FROM
  table1 a,
  table2 b
WHERE
  a.id = b.id
  AND a.thing>b.thing
GROUP BY
  a.id
ORDER BY
  a.id

yeah… using your tool would not be an option since the SQL would always pre-exist in a string, either typed by the user or extracted from a database.

The next option would be to tokenize it yourself, not a trivial task I think. Since I can see its uses, I will think about including that in my project.

But that doesn’t help you today, sorry.

online : http://poorsql.com/
source code : https://github.com/TaoK/PoorMansTSqlFormatter

it’s not xojo code, so there is some work before using it…

Thanks… the online one could not even handle by test case (it hung up forever)

I think I have an idea … if it works out decent, I’ll post more about it

and looking quite at the source C# code … well … it’s complicated !

well I tried it and it works immediately ?

SELECT a.id ,count(*) AS cnt FROM table1 a ,table2 b WHERE a.id = b.id AND a.thing > b.thing GROUP BY a.id ORDER BY a.id

I have had a similar issue in my SQLite Control database manager. I created a specific class for the formatting of SQL text.

You can download a copy here:
sqlFormatter

Why not hide all the ugly SQL away in a view or a function?

s = SQLBuilder_MTC.SQLSelect ( "a.id, count(*)" ).From( "table1 a" ).From( "table2 b" ).WhereRaw( "a.id = b.id" ).WhereRaw( "a.thing>b.thing" ).GroupBy( "a.id" ).OrderBy( "a.id").ToString

Hmm, you’re introducing the complexity of KQL (Kem’s Query Language) on top of SQL.

A few reasons:

• If you separate the SQL from the method, it makes it harder to debug and modify when the database changes.
  • The utility is smart with Nils so if you do .Where( "i", myVariantValue ) where the value is nil, it will write it as WHERE i IS NULL.
  • It helps you with the syntax, especially the various Where options.
  • It has conditionals. For example:
s = SQLBuilder_MTC.SQLSelect( "" ) _
  .Where( "ssn", ssn ) _
  .CondWhere( firstName <> "", "first_name", firstName ) _
  .CondWhere( lastName <> "", "last_name", lastName ) _
  .ToString

Here ssn is required but both first name and last name are optional. Think about writing this as a prepared statement for Postgres where you must use the $-digit form of placeholders.

[quote=324671:@Dave S]

s="SELECT a.id,count(*) as cnt FROM table1 a, table2 b WHERE a.id=b.id and a.thing>b.thing GROUP BY a.id ORDER by a.id" t=formatSQL(s) [/quote]
My sqlFormatter class converts this to:

SELECT a.id,count(*) as cnt FROM table1 a, table2 b WHERE a.id=b.id AND a.thing>b.thing GROUP BY a.id ORDER BY a.id

@Simon Could you please give example of how to use the SQLFormatter?

the one I started working on yesterday takes the sample above and generates this output

SELECT a.id, COUNT(*) AS cnt
FROM table1 a, table2 b
WHERE a.id = b.id
AND a.thing > b.thing
GROUP BY a.id
ORDER BY a.id

which is the “style” of SQL I prefer… the next phase is indenting… (Hey I’ve only got 3 hours invested so far :slight_smile: )

Use the following:

' Where SQLText is a TextArea on the form dim fm As new sqlFormatter fm.InputText = SQLText.Text SQLText.Text = fm.OutputText
Simple as that!

Thanks Simon

Simon, your formatter does not take into account strings so it can actually change the SQL while it formats it. As a test:

dim s as string = _
  "SELECT 'select     (    ) from   a' FROM ""      where     "" WHERE 'where' = 'select' and 'and a = 2' <> 3"

gives us:

SELECT
 'select ( ) from a'
FROM
 ' where '
WHERE
 'where' = 'select' and 'and a = 2' <> 3

Note the spacing differences in the first string, the table identifier, and how the double quotes have been changed to single quotes.

mine produces this

SELECT 'select     (    ) from   a'
FROM ""
WHERE ""
WHERE 'where' = 'select'
AND 'and a = 2' <> 3 

however I can’t see how your example is valid SQL…