Showcase, the first public Xojo Web 2.0 app!

Why would the session close immediately like that? I don’t notice that sort of behavior on other sites. Wouldn’t it be preferable to have some sort of timeout on the session that triggers the session to be cleared on the server side?

People are making videos on how slow this app is.

I thought it was slow when I used it myself, I’m not experiencing slowness in my own Web 2.0 apps however.

I thought I read somewhere that web2 was more resilient to the loss of connection, back button type situations? Do you need to do coding to handle these situations? The web2 documentation really needs improvement.

FYI, Demo operates with an acceptable level of speed here in Jeju Island, Republic of Korea.

Desktop PC and Android handsets.

500MBs wired connection, fiber from the island to the mainland.

Same result with KT telco data account on handset.

The problem I see is that:

• every time you reload the page a different URL for each image is created (almost all, it looks like Xojo and Apple logos keep the URL)
  • this makes the browser download a new set of images every time
  • the browser is not using the cache
  • I think it won’t be possible to use a CDN

This is good, Xojo can see what optimizations should be in the next release.

Back in Web 1.0 and using CGI, some people uploaded the images to the Apache server (jpg / png compressed to reduce the KB) and the Xojo CGI app could just point to the URL. I don’t see an easy way to do this within Xojo standalone. I remember that some files are converted again to png making them larger (in KB) at the same time.

Is great to have 100, 200, 1000 Mbit internet and servers that support that, but there are times when the connection is slow and is better to have your site working ok in very slow connections and super fast on fast ones than not be able to use the webapp because the speed or latency is not good.

It would be helpful if the file uploader worked. I tried filling out the form to add an app to the list, and when it came time to upload, I selected a Windows screen shot and a Mac one. Clicked upload, the Windows field cleared, the Mac field still said “LW6 Screen Shot Mac.png”. No idea if anything at all was uploaded.

Reported on Feedback, case 61951.

I haven’t played around much with any apps of my own on web 2 yet other than attempting and failing at one conversion, but in looking at the javascript events in the browser it seems there are a ton of timers firing off when nothing is happening in the app. Is that normal for all apps, or is that something specific to this one. It looks like there is much more chatter going on than what I see in my Web 1 apps. I was not expecting that to be the case.

The author of the web app chose to serve the images directly through the Xojo App apparently, and without using the cache. That’s what slows down the app I think. I guess it’s possible, as in the first web framework, to let Apache serve the images, and use the client browser’s cache.

1 Like

Generally, timers consume very little. Where do you see the timers in the Chrome developer console please?

I used Safari. When you go to the developer inspector you select timelines and then javascript and events. That gives a running log, almost like a midi sequencer if you’ve ever played with a music app, of all the javascript calls and timing.

2 Likes

Typo in the description field for Showcase itself: strenghts

I’ve just seen the Showcase thing in the survey and thought I’d add an app. First fence I failed was finding a logo of my app at 50x50 points - who makes logos that small? Second fence I failed on was uploading a png of a screenshot. The one I chose was <1200 kbytes (enough according to the specs), but pressing upload just made the chosen filename disappear. Now it won’t let me proceed any further.

Hi James,

The upload may “stall” in some cases… if it fails and you don’t see the “Next” button enabled… then you can clic on the Reset button and try to upload it again.

I tried several times but to no avail.
Also, I noted from a UI perspective, that the titles “Platform” and “Category” also appeared in the drop-down list - which seems redundant as “All” exists in both.

@Javier_Menendez: If the upload “stalls” then you have a bug that you need to fix in Xojo Web.

5 Likes

WebFileUploader is broken - see discussion here WebFileUploader Issue with phone (2020r1.1)

3 Likes

Entre para probar a GraffitiSuite para probar y al hacer clic sobre AppWebsite abrió

http://grafftisuite.com/

Se nota que el link está mal.

Typo! Sorry!

Fixed the typo.