Showcase internal Web 2.0 Application

While there are some rants recently, I thought I will post a picture of a recent (internal) app for Web 2.0 and thank @Greg_O_Lone for a fantastic job so far. This particular screen is getting data from our cloud based ticket system and cloud based time recording and then visualizing these data in an aggregated form and the top open tickets.

Nothing fancy nor rocket science, but developed by far faster and easier than with anything else. Is the framework already perfect? Nope. Are there functionalities missing? Yes, as always. But it is already more than usuable.

11 Likes

If you would ask me, what I’m missing the most: I would probably say “easy” responsive design.

I don’t expect it to be perfect (it usually isn’t anyhow, unless you are putting tons of efforts to make it look perfect on all platforms). But look for instance at my login screen. I made it so small (350 px width) so that we can at least login in portrait mode on our mobile phones. That’s enough, navigating with 2 fingers through the weblist is okay, if you don’t have a tablet or a desktop at your hand.

But I wish that it would be easier per screen to use a responsive layout. I’m aware of the options, via embedding containers and doing JS stuff and raw injections but that’s just too much work …

Other than that, I’m missing an easier way to add (bootstrap icons / pictures ) to web elements (like buttons etc.).

We have a long term plan for response design though it’s not yet on the public roadmap. Once we have flushed out more of the details, I’m sure it will be.

6 Likes

Fantastic. It’s a good investment of resources I think. I am aware of customers, who have no real need of responsive design as their Web 1.0 I developed is solely used on their internal network. Yet they are regularly opening and re-opening tickets that something is wrong with the page, as it’s not resizing when they are resizing their browser. Silly, but it is what it is :-).

Consequently, I believe it is less important that it looks perfect, as long as it is resizing … ;-). In regards of your roadmap: the most common use for the majority of users is probably the login screen. Perhaps you can come up with a workaround for that funktion only, but I guess @Anthony_G_Cyphers will probably enable this with GS for Web 2.0 sooner or later. Not a big deal, my name is quite long with our domain, and even that one fits into email field but on the other hand the login screen is always the “first impression” for a customer, so it should somehow look good.

Disclaimer: And yes, I’m aware the responsiveness is one of these challenges, which look “easy” on paper, but have a lot of consequences …