Should I get into coding?

while that is true, the fact remains.

• If you are not an experienced programmer, the chances of making a living wage is remote
  • If you are just now thinking about this career path, then you are not an experienced programmer
  • If you find this type of work boring, you will never become an experienced programmer
  • and if the need for this kind of money is dire, you don’t have the time to invest either

I don’t think anyone is trying to dissuade the OP, just point out the facts of life is all

i for one has been doing coding and software development for the last 30 years and use xojo for the last 15 years.
if you really find coding boring , it is better to find something you enjoying doing

One thing I learned in Alcoholics Anonymous is that truth is always preferable to lying to oneself.

Sure, I did not sugar coat the fact that embracing a career for mercenary reasons only, is a recipe for becoming miserable, but though love is sometimes preferable to big mistakes.

I don’t think any of us tried to hurt the OP. Rather, to warn against potentially hurtful decisions.

[quote=451701:@Dave S]But Michel?! What about the “Take this $29 programming course and instantly become a successful Software Developer

Its on the Internet so it MUST be true! (right?)

(sarcasm mode deactivated)[/quote]

Seriously?

No

If you WANT to read it as being directed against the OP, then you can. But you are not obliged to.

Sometimes how something is “received” says more about the receiver (in this case you) than the sender.

And for your complaint about “get rich quick schemes”: I’m the one who brought it up, and in the context of “anything that promises you big rewards for little effort is a scam”. If you want to read that differently then that is your prerogative.

As a German in the UK I was often told that what I think of as “straightforward” was considered “rude” by the recipient. They would ask for my “honest opinion”, I would give it, then they would complain. My usual response was: “If you want my honest opinion then I’ll give it to you. If you can’t handle my honest opinion then you have the problem, not me, and the solution is simple: don’t ask for honest opinions.”

The word I used was “perceived”, not received (there’s a difference). Nonetheless, thank you Markus, I’ll take your comment as a compliment.

Upon reflection, I should have said …some of” these comments about “get rick quick” schemes in my earlier post. I thought what you said originally Markus, was concise and straight forward. So my apologies if I accidentally included you in my rant.

It was about four posts after yours that I felt things were going off the rails with what I “perceived” (a.k.a. interpreted) as sexist and undermining the OP efforts to gain some useful advice.

Scott, now you are engaging into a witch hunt. Indeed, this thread should be locked and forgotten if that kind of innuendos and accusations where to continue. I will ignore it, since I said what I had to share.

Besides, since, in a typical trollish way, the OP did not even condescended to participate, I wonder why we fight.

Namaste, my friends,

My advice to the original poster is to take a deep and honest look in herself and find out what she really wants to earn an income. The “true” Law Of Attraction (not the fake “Secret” made by Rhonda Byrne) can help in the process of finding out what you really want to do. Don’t be mislead by “money” because it is unlikely your key to success.

In discussions about “success” I ask one important question :

What do you think comes first?

1. Success leads to happiness
    or
  2. Happiness leads to success

Why are so many rich people so unhappy? Exactly, success does not automatically lead to happiness. On the other hand, happiness leads to success because it stimulates creativity and growth inside a person. Being satisfied with what you already have and being happy with somebody else success lead to more self-awareness.

Whatever your talents are, don’t let “making money… get rich quick” be your motivation. Just believe in yourself, tell yourself “I can do that!” and go for it. Be persistent and determined in whatever you do. That is how you will reach your goals and destiny in life.

So let us continue in the same positive spirit and try to help people who ask for our guidance and support. It will be so much more rewarding when that person one day tells you, he/she found her way in life because of your help and support. This community did it for us and I am sure will do it for many other people. Together we make a difference!

Live long and prosper (Mister Spock and Lieutenant Tuvok Star Trek and Star Trek Voyager)

Chris

[quote=451727:@Scott Cadillac]Upon reflection, I should have said …some of” these comments about “get rick quick” schemes in my earlier post. I thought what you said originally Markus, was concise and straight forward. So my apologies if I accidentally included you in my rant.

It was about four posts after yours that I felt things were going off the rails with what I “perceived” (a.k.a. interpreted) as sexist and undermining the OP efforts to gain some useful advice.[/quote]

I still think that you misunderstood these other posts. The sarcasm wasn’t directed against the original poster, it was directed at the tendency of the modern World to believe ANYTHING written on the internet. I regularly get emails from my mother asking if some scam email promising money is legit, and emails from a friend if some miracle cure for cancer works. And I find scams in comment sections everywhere because people fall for them, like this one:

“A few days ago . I was like a Beggar asking everyone for money and shelter,but really a nice man introduced me the best on-line work . This work needs no special skills . now i am able to earn $996 pd and $7k pm easy and non-stopable money. it is official work under microsoft rules . it Help lots financially . Everybody must try this job by just use the info on this page”

As a Scientist I spend more of my private time debunking nonsense than explaining how things really work. One thing I learned: it is very difficult to define intelligence as there are many different types (academic, musical, emotional, social, etc), but stupidity is easy to define: true stupidity is when you stick to your opinion or illusions rather than accept facts.

And if you look at what happens in the US or the UK, Russia, China, Hongkong, most of Afrika (US preachers spreading that “drinking bleach will cure Aids, malaria, and impotence”) etc then it is immensely demoralizing. I would wager that sarcasm is a valid expression of frustration and exasperation at the sheer stupidity of it all.

Is that aimed at the original poster? Only insofar as it says “don’t be as stupid as the people falling for it, be smart instead”. You CAN read it differently, but if you’ve been on these forums long enough then you’ll realize that people here can be sarcastic, but even then they mean well (and the one exception left years ago).

we have valid questions lately done by people’s first (and only) entry in this forum.

I am still asking me if these are really valid questions or study questions or whatever.

Nota: the previous questions were about developing in an area, not as general as this one.

This question is 2 days old and the OP (Penelope, like the ancian Ulysse wife) never answered back…