Shade 10 (Omega Bundle)

I took read the description in the Omega Bundle and took a look at the developers website - I can’t really see clearly what the product is. Yes there is an application for drawing 3D models but does the developer get an unlimited licence to incorporate some components into their own app to manipulate and render? I hope that I am not being dumb here. Can anyone tell me about their use and experience with the product?

Well, it’s an app which you use to make models for e.g. Franklin 3D engine.
And that engine can go into your app.

Christian’s got it right. You need to select from Windows or Mac OS X. This version can export to a number of formats that you can then import into Frankin3D. But its a full on 3D modeling, rendering and animation product.

There is an upgrade campaign going on now to move to 13 (and get upgraded to 14 when it ships) Standard or Pro. Its well worth the upgrade as its almost never this low price.

Ok, I get the feeling that I will need to try it to be sure, but as an example: Suppose I want to create some simple 3D elements such as rooms in a house and some simple components of each rooms such as windows, doors and lights. Then I want the user to be able to place the rooms on a floor and size them, add windows, doors and lights. A bit like one of those Home 3D designers but much more basic. I want to incorporate this into my application so I supply the basic 3D parts but the user creates the layout of those 3D parts and can save and load their creation. Is this what I can do with Shade 10? I was thinking to do it in OpenGL but wondering if I could achieve better results faster by using 3rd party.

The code at Xojo3D.com is still at a very humble level of 3D programming, and the feature set it provides is probably not comparable to most other mature 3D engines, but I’m in the process of finalizing the next tutorial at www.xojo3d.com about File IO (how to save/load basic 3D models to/from disk using JSON)… should you be interested in using the free code published in these tutorials.

I test all code for compatibility with Windows XP SP2+, OS X 6.4+, AND Ubuntu Linux (32-bit).

I did browse through your code a few days ago and found it very interesting, reading it did actually solve a bug that I had in setting up OpenGL so please keep up the excellent work. It might be helpful for your readers if you can deviate from the 3D aspects sometime too as OpenGL has some very powerful 2D image generation and processing features.

I am tempted to stick with OpenGL because of the Windows/Mac/Linux support and because I will be able to code and control exactly the behaviour that I want.

Thanks for the suggestion Carl. Will definitely keep it in mind, and added it to the growing todo list of requests :wink:

That is the same reason why I’m an OpenGL fan. OpenGL has a lot to offer, and anyone willing to stick it through the learning curve will definitely benefit from it. OpenGL certainly compliments Xojo’s school of thought, when it comes to cross-platform development.