Set Listbox to not draw background color

Hi,
I’m trying to make a transparent Listbox, Is there any way to make this ancient Listbox of Xojo to not draw any color on background?!
With NSTableView i can just set it’s bgcolor to clearColor.

Hi,

I get an eye to find an answer, but I failed: I do not know how to make the listbox background transparent.

I checked because usually, I set vertical and horizontal dotted lines and I set two alternate colours for the Rows. So the question was a good question to get an answer for (because if I never think at that !)

1. Return True in the CellBackgroundPaint event to prohibit the Xojo framework to draw anything.
  2. Try to subclass the listbox in the Objective C Runtime and overriding the drawRect: method in Xojo. In Objective C it would look like that:

- (void)drawRect:(NSRect)rect { [[NSColor clearColor] set]; NSRectFill(rect); }

Ok, I couldn’t find a way to transparent background for dtListbox either!

If i could ony combine dtPlugin with MBS classes… for example if i could access : dtListbox.NSTableViewMBS

Can you cheat it? Fill the window color or pattern in CellBackgroundPaint.

What if the background is not a solid color? maybe a random gradient?
Cheating belongs to VB6 not a 2014 IDE.

[quote=61085:@Mojtaba Komeili]What if the background is not a solid color? maybe a random gradient?
Cheating belongs to VB6 not a 2014 IDE.[/quote]

Still you have to cheat sometimes.
I implemented a falsely transparent listbox drawing in the Listbox.CellBackgroundPaint the portion of a background picture.
However this works well if the background is a predefined picture…

Function CellBackgroundPaint(g As Graphics, row As Integer, column As Integer) As Boolean
g.ClearRect ( 0, 0, g.Width, g.Height )
return false
End Function

[quote=72988:@Peter Wagemans]Function CellBackgroundPaint(g As Graphics, row As Integer, column As Integer) As Boolean
g.ClearRect ( 0, 0, g.Width, g.Height )
return false
End Function[/quote]

If you use this, the listbox will always use the color of the Window. If you put a listbox into a container with
some other color and embed it it won’t work. Sadly, they only way to get transparency is to fake the background.
I doubt the listbox will ever be able to be transparent.

Hmm well not really. :slight_smile: Might be an option for rare cases.

[quote=60892:@Mojtaba Komeili]Hi,
I’m trying to make a transparent Listbox, Is there any way to make this ancient Listbox of Xojo to not draw any color on background?!
With NSTableView i can just set it’s bgcolor to clearColor.[/quote]

If you need the ListBox to be transparent over the background, making it the same color works. If you need it over a picture or other controls, you can apply the cloak technology : draw what is behind the control onto its background.

Jean-Paul, you really should reopen your plugins for sale. It is no point to show what they do if people cannot buy them.

Sure. I am aware of that. I just wanted to point out that the g.clearrect solution posted above doesn’t work in a container environment.

True. [quote=255222:@jean-paul devulder]dplugins dtlistview support this feature,

strange, i miss the thread ! :wink:

I heard the plugin isn’t for sale anymore so why posting ? Still nice though - except for the scroller.

I didn’t want to rant about your plugin. :slight_smile: I was sort of expecting an overlay scroller
but you can probably change/customize it.