Set a custom icon to a (csv) file

In an application I set a custom icon to my csv files…

I set what is needed to load the file (using my application) if I:
click twice on it
drop the file on the application icon.

I used AppleScript to get the file properties and here are the most needed info:
file type:"???"
creator type:"???"
name extension:“csv”
kind:“valeurs séparées par virgule” (Comma-Separated Values)

By Jove: what did I miss (forgot) to get that …custom icon ?

Checked on OS X earlier today, but so I do since these last six months or so…

[quote=202279:@Emile Schwarz]In an application I set a custom icon to my csv files…

I set what is needed to load the file (using my application) if I:
click twice on it
drop the file on the application icon.

I used AppleScript to get the file properties and here are the most needed info:
file type:"???"
creator type:"???"
name extension:“csv”
kind:“valeurs séparées par virgule” (Comma-Separated Values)

By Jove: what did I miss (forgot) to get that …custom icon ?

Checked on OS X earlier today, but so I do since these last six months or so…[/quote]

CSV in general belongs depending of which one installed last to Apple Numbers, Libre Office, Open Office or Microsoft Office and probably others I don’t know about. Csv is just like Txt. So common it would seem extraordinary, even outrageous that another app would hijack it for itself.

You should make your own extension, which by the way does not have to be limited to three letters. For instance “.csves” and then, you are sure it belongs to you. I checked with http://file.org/ and it does not seem used.

Yes, csv is text…

In my Windows 8.1 laptop, the custom icon is owned by LibreOffice, while in OS X, it is SimpleText (or OS X) text custom icon (text in columns with uppercase csv centered text at the icon bottom.

And in OS X, Quicklook allows the user to see csv files as columns separated lines (I used enclosed " text, and comma… as delimiter).

At last, if I am able to tell the OS to not use Numbers to load my csv files, I must be able to get my custom icons. Am I right or am I right ?

I want to let the user(s) make their own choice, but if they do not saw the custom icon (before a double-click in the file), how can they choose anything ?

Xojo reclaim xml files for it, and have (set by OS X)his own icon for xml files… Unless you have XCode installed !

You own description should lead you to the solution of having your own suffix.

Can you imagine the amount of support requests from angry customers who will no longer be able to open their csv files in their favorite program ? The first thing a lot of them will assume is that your app has a virus. And I see in advance the kind of reviews you will get. Not pretty…

Don’t hijack common file types. You will spare yourself a lot of pain.

If this is good for Numbers, LibreOffice (and certainly many others), why this can be bad for Xojo users, you and me ?

I understand your point of view. What about mine ?

[quote=202310:@Emile Schwarz]If this is good for Numbers, LibreOffice (and certainly many others), why this can be bad for Xojo users, you and me ?

I understand your point of view. What about mine ?[/quote]

I am not even a plankton bacteria in the vast ocean of software. Numbers is an archipelago, Libre Office another. I will not dare comparing my little self to these institutions.

On your own machine, you have free reign, and it is quite alright to do whatever you please, like deciding that csv be opened by your own app.

How would you appreciate a game, for instance, decide to snatch Xojo projects away on that machine ?

My point is not that you should not explore technical possibilities, it is that you should not change things on a user machine without his consent. Changing which app opens CSV without asking permission is rude at the minimum.

In the end, you are free to do as you please. But when you have countless screaming and yelling customers on your hands, maybe you’ll remember I told you so :wink:

Like you. On the other hand, I am not a gamer.

In the absolute, yes.

But, if you download a specific application to deal with a specific problem, you will not cry against that solution you choose, but instead will think: “Oh, this kind of file is now handled by the application I downloaded” or “Nice ! the applciation really deals with my problem.”

As an example, I set Firefox as my the application to be open when an html file is open. BUT, when at home, I fire Safari to read html files (faster to open) and I cry (loud) when Xojo fire Firefox and send it things to be displayed.

That’s my choice and that’s life :frowning:

So goes when I clicked on a xml file and get Xojo launched sometimes ago: I tried to never ever open a xml file this way, but use drag and drop to open it with the application I want.

Who say life is easy ?

Emile, come on. Who are we to claim file formats so widely used by major apps ?

Why is it so difficult for you to use your own file suffix instead ?

As I said, in the end, you do as you please. Simply don’t complain about the karma you created.

I boot on a Maverick external hard disk earlier today and found… my custom icons !

I will check what happens if when I will boot on El Capitán later today…

Really incredible.

PS: the boot on Mavericks takes more time than fromt he internal SSD (Yosemite), but the working overall speed is faster !