Session Voting for MBS Xojo Conference

We have a speaker who offered several topics for a presentation:

• Creating reports with XojoScript and MBS XL Plugin
  • Database independant programming: using interface
  • Screen designer: how to create an application specific IDE
  • Creating and communicating with a web service using JSON
  • Integrating SIX payment systems saferpay credit card terminal with a web app
  • Creating PDF file with XojoScript and MBS DynaPDF Plugin

Please vote for them in this doodle survey:

http://doodle.com/poll/6f3q6m6mw987hxh5

Once we know your preferences, we can pick a topic.

Speakers are still welcome as we still have free sessions.

Since I’ll be there I should probably do a presentation :slight_smile:
I’m open to ideas

No one attending has a “Things I’d like to see Norm talk about” list ?

There are some things I would like to hear about:

• Comparison Xojo and other languages, especially Javascript with it’s possibility to use functions quite freely.

• Delegates and Interfaces. Advanced examples. It seems that there is a possibility to achieve results you use other language possilibilties for example in JavaScript.

• Precision problems with floating point numbers, datatype currency and for example decimals. Also problems with the dual system vs. decimal system as base of the numbers. In conjunction with this theme: The different rounding methods.

-Examples of using Xojo to solve numerical problems.

@Jens Knaack that’s a schedule for some weeks at least.
I don’t think Norman will stay that long. :wink:

Perhaps he could speak a liitle bit faster?

You have the chance to ask people questions at the conference as well as in the lunch breaks or the evening event.

[quote=244821:@Jens Knaack]There are some things I would like to hear about:

• Comparison Xojo and other languages, especially Javascript with it’s possibility to use functions quite freely.

• Delegates and Interfaces. Advanced examples. It seems that there is a possibility to achieve results you use other language possilibilties for example in JavaScript.

• Precision problems with floating point numbers, datatype currency and for example decimals. Also problems with the dual system vs. decimal system as base of the numbers. In conjunction with this theme: The different rounding methods.

-Examples of using Xojo to solve numerical problems.[/quote]

Definitely an interesting list of topics
It seems to me there are some specific problems you’re trying to address in Xojo that, in Javascript, you can deal with differently ?
Care to expand on this (here or privately)

No specific problems.

I have begun to learn Xojo. In the way doing this I sometimes take some examples from a nice little book “Eloquent JavaScript written by Marijn Haverbeke” (http://eloquentjavascript.net/) and look how to realize the program examples in Xojo. (For example: Chapter 5 Higher-Order Functions (http://eloquentjavascript.net/05_higher_order.html).)

For a beginner it is not always an easy thing to do this but it seems that everything is possible in XOJO.

Hmmm … some linguistic differences make this difficult to do in precisely the same way
You cant do something exactly like

function noisy(f) {
  return function(arg) {
    console.log("calling with", arg);
    var val = f(arg);
    console.log("called with", arg, "- got", val);
    return val;
  };
}
noisy(Boolean)(0);

Thats a difference in the base definition of the language
Functions are first class types in Javascript but are not in Xojo
Delegates are as close as you get - they’re “type safe function pointers” for lack of a better way to say it

Still makes for an interesting exercise

More votes for session?

An idea from then thread 3D Drawing/ Rendering:

Using OpenGL/ Game programming.

Or “How to create plugins”.

I not sure but I think I have read, that there will be changes in the future.

I made a session about making plugins some years ago.

And are there former participants of this session attending the “new” conference?

you can watch video here:
http://www.mbsplugins.com/CreatePluginMac.shtml

Thank you.