Serious Upgrade Problem

I have an app that I wrote in 2014 and haven’t updated since. My wife uses this program on a regular basis and she had to get a new MacBook (with Catalina) as her prior computer died. Now the program will not run on Catalina as it is 64-bit. I just updated XOJO to 2019 r3.1 but the program will not run in it. Part of the problem is that it was written in Carbon framework prior to Cocoa and produces many errors when I try to run it. It has been too long since I have coded (I am 70+ years old) making it a hurdle I am unable to clear. I am interested in finding someone who can update this program to get it running in XOJO 2019 r3.1. The program runs fine in the 2014 version of XOJO. Note: this program is very database intensive using SQLite.

did you use any plugin in 2014 ?
the main problem must be API 2.
can you copy-paste some of the main errors you’re faced with ?
did you try to compile with xojo 2019r1.1 (the last version before API2) ?

edit: after a search the first version of xojo to compile for 64b was 2015r3

Yes at lease one or more plugins are used and the main error I get is:

An exception of class
MenuHasParentException was not handled.
The application must shut down.

The program will not run in XOJO’s environment anymore.

[quote=493266:@Jerry AB]Yes at lease one or more plugins are used:
[/quote]

I don’t think the code would compile without he plugins present. Do you have them in the 2019R3 plugin folder?

-Karen

Well it may not be a plugin. It is a protected serial number routine and it can be removed as I no longer sell the
program anymore. I released it to the public a couple years ago with a free serial number. I’m sure that can be
bypassed in the program but it might be something that is causing the problem.

I also tried to run this program in XOJO 2019r1.1 and it did not work there either.

Same old apple :expressionless:

In windows you can run Xojo 2014 apps with no problem

The app was written in XOJO 2014r2.1 and saved as Carbon Framework.
I do not have windows just Mac’s

[quote=493266:@Jerry AB]Yes at lease one or more plugins are used and the main error I get is:

An exception of class
MenuHasParentException was not handled.
The application must shut down.

The program will not run in XOJO’s environment anymore.[/quote]

Do you have a menuitem that exists in a menubar that you also try to attach to another item like a contextual menu etc ?
That no longer works with the change from Carbon to Cocoa

Norman,

I’m sure that might be the problem but I can’t figure it out. I have not used XOJO in years now and have forgot
much of the coding I did back in 2014. Thats why I am trying to get someone to look at my code and get it running
in the XOJO environment then I can take it from there. I don’t have any plugins in it.

Jerry,
you could use a virtual machine like virtualbox which is free, and install in it an older mac os like 10.11
then you could run your app inside this machine.
this could be usable almost forever, as you only have to update the virtualbox app .
of course if you want to implement new features in your app, it would be better to update the source code to actual xojo.

Looks like for some reason when the new version reads the project ONE menu item get read as a menu BAR instead and that causes this havoc

That the exception tells you absolutely nothing baut what menu item is experiencing this problem is not helpful
<https://xojo.com/issue/60711>

[quote=493367:@Norman Palardy]Looks like for some reason when the new version reads the project ONE menu item get read as a menu BAR instead and that causes this havoc

[/quote]

That is one weird error I would never have thought to look for… How did you find it? Saved the project as text or Xml and looked at that?

-karen

slowly removed items one at a time from menubars
then when I figure out what menu caused it looked at differences
initially I overlooked that EdtiMenu has a super of MenuBAr instead of menuItem
fixed that and off things went

Thanks Norman

What one word can do is amazing. CRASH and BURN because of it. OR FIXED.