Selling Software

Can I get a straw poll from people who sell software for download and issue serial numbers?
I just wasted a lot of time trying to get this working with Rapidlink but it’s not up to the job.

I already have a MyCommerce site, but that insists on charging people VAT even though Im not registered for it.
This means to sell at ‘a price’ I have to foot a 20% cut in revenue.
(ie I can sell at 30 dollars and I get 30 dollars.
But if I sell at 30 dollars through MyCommerce, I get maybe 22 dollars of it.
Thats not their ‘cut’, which on paper is a very reasonable low %.
Its money they take from me and give to some government )

So:

How do you like to sell your stuff?
Is there any business out there which will sell at the gross price I choose, not charge unwarranted VAT, deliver executables, issue serials, tell me about sales as they occur, and not charge more than 8%?

Try e-junkie. It’s perfect for your needs!

I use Einhugur encryption that combines the person’s account name, the product name, version number, expiry date, etc. I have a Web App to help generate the serial numbers and email the user automatically. They copy and paste their username and serial number into the app from the email.

My apps also send this data to a server when they add the serial number - so I can check the serial number is not being abused.

Some ideas here: Xojo Blog: Selling Your Apps

eJunkie have given me some helpful replies.
I may even use TrialPay for some lower priced products.

I mostly use Paypal with an IPN script to handle all serials, registration etc…

I have been using Paypal/IPN for 8 years so far. I wrote a sample IPN script, it is available here:
http://www.maxprog.com/goodies/ipn_process_pro_php.zip
You can automate everything.

myself and others are using FastSpring. They have several options for doing the serial numbers (preload a set of serial #s, use a serial generator that they support and they do it onsite, call an API (you generate them at your location), plus probably more). the FastSpring folks are great to work with and are very responsive. I have found them to always looking to find a way to say Yes to your questions/comments/concerns/requests.

Now when I was evaluating the various vendors out there (inclunding the ones mentioned in this thread and many others). FastSpring’s answers to what they offered and how the various vendors stack up, seemed the most neutral (and fair). They seemed to be giving me straight answers from day one, questions one. Other ones (not going to mention whom) gave me a very polished answer about themselves and was eager to bash their competitors.

When I was talking with them (I wasnt even a customer, not even signed up as a trial user), I got very good and fair answers. They told me the pros and cons of each of their competitors (that I asked about and there were many). they even me the good and bad about themselves. Including things that they want to fix (or wanted at the time). I was very shocked at their honesty. shocked in a good way.

now they arent the perfect fit for everyone. I would do some due diligence and find the one that best suits your needs.

sb

Forgot MyCommerce from Digital River. They’re not interested in your business anyway, so you’ll be fighting a losing battle with them. In the last couple of years, Digital River bought up most of the small guys and then tried to merge them under MyCommerce and it’s a complete mess.

I’ve endured a lot of pain and frustration from them and we’re slowly working to alleviate that.

I would suggest that you develop your own serial number and activation system, giving you control over who sells and who uses your application, then you can simply run off a ream of SNs and sell through whoever you choose, or even multiple places :slight_smile: Except eSellerate/Digital River have a reoccurring bug with their SN system where it marks serials as being issued, but doesn’t actually issue them to the customer!

Don’t forget MAS if you want to sell to the Mac community, it can be a chore to set-up and develop your application so Apple will accept it, but its the #1 place to buy Mac Software. Their rates are 30%, but for the volume you’ll sell, it easily out earns other solutions.

It’s going to have to happen, as time goes by, more and more governments are making it a legal requirement to charge sales tax. I do recall with eSellerate that you can specify this to be added on top of your price, so you don’t pay the sales tax, the customer does.

Just to finish the story:

After many years of selling through a mixture of Digital River Global Commerce, and Paypal (direct), Digital River decided that my contract ‘needed to be reviewed’ and put me onto MyCommerce. This prompted me to re-evaluate what they were providing (after all, I dent want to move), so I went through a process of trying things out.
I tried creating a shopping cart using Rapidweaver and Rapidlink, which looked promising, but turned out to be incredibly constrictive for selling in multiple currencies, so I ditched that approach within 2 weeks, despite having paid for the software.

I am pleased to say that everything I needed was supplied by e-Junkie. It wouldn’t be for everyone, as there is a monthly fee, based on number of product lines and amount of file storage. But the amount they charge is less than the money I was losing by selling through DR for a couple of sales, so I reckon its a great deal.
They handle the shopping cart, emailing, serial number distribution, encrypted download links, download timeouts, and I charge what I like as it goes from their cart to Paypal, to me.

more and more governments are making it a legal requirement to charge sales tax.

Interesting.
The principle of Sales tax is : charge it on behalf of ‘the government’, reclaim that which you are charged. Pay them the difference.
I can’t see me tracking down every government in the world to give them a few cents each.

Have a look: https://forum.xojo.com/11711-mycommerce-regnow-digital-river-closed-my-account

[quote]more and more governments are making it a legal requirement to charge sales tax.
Interesting.
The principle of Sales tax is : charge it on behalf of ‘the government’, reclaim that which you are charged. Pay them the difference.
I can’t see me tracking down every government in the world to give them a few cents each.[/quote]

And here we are 8 months later facing exactly this situation, meaning that my newfound happiness with e-Junkie is doomed.
Sigh

[quote=147162:@Jeff Tullin]And here we are 8 months later facing exactly this situation, meaning that my newfound happiness with e-Junkie is doomed.
Sigh[/quote]

One way could be to use Stripe for payment, as they do not charge sales taxes, and roll your own delivery system. But on top of the need to program, you always risk having the taxman look into that income.