self vs me

I changed my constant, and all of the references to it and eliminated my error.
How do I report this error?

The problem is that App is actually a function call that returns the singleton application object. You cannot use a function to define an array. If you moved Cols to a module, then you could use it. You just cannot use a constant defined in App as part of a property definition. It’s not a bug.

True. That being said, the error information makes no sense.

“Self” does not mean anything in a Module context ?

Why ?

[quote]@Mathias Maes the error information makes no sense

Why ?[/quote]

Because the problem is using a constant defined on the app, as part of a function definition, not the user’s explicit use of the ‘self’ object.

++++++++1

This is okay. Thank you. 3 problems.

Is the App the place for defining a global/project constant? Can move it somewhere?

In the LR under definition of Constants, there is no exception for a global/project constant. Is there a location that does?
Where do I move it to? The window’s event open?

How do I put into a Class that currently uses this property? I don’t get the error there.

Another problem. I clicked on the XOJO finder’s ALL and all of my references (to App.Cols) disappeared. How do I reset it at least on a Mac?

The more you go, the more you appear lost.

If you posted your project, it would probably take less than half a second for one of us to locate the issue.

Sure, but bear in mind it’s large. My binary project is 1.5mb.
ReviewCard Project
This is the whole thing. I’ll leave it up until this piece is solved.
The image might be needed

Self would be the least of problems. Sorry, but this project is nowhere near any kind of completion. You have a lot to work on.

For next without max value, redim without value, dim errors, lots of syntax error, and I don’t see any self error. You should really fix every single error sequentially, to have a chance to see your project run.

Good luck.

Lol. Definitely. I’m doing this on my own and I’m not an organized person. I’m just starting again on documentation and freeware is hard to find. It’s going to be freeware itself so…

I don’t see any redhibitory problem. But a lot of oversight.

As a matter of example you get a syntax error here :

Dim wholeFile(), rowFromFile, ZTempArray(), TempArray(-1, ) As  String //, oneCell

TempArray should be properly dimmed TempArray(-1, -1) :

Dim wholeFile(), rowFromFile, ZTempArray(), TempArray(-1, -1) As  String //, oneCell

This takes care of 20 or so subsequent errors.

Go line by line, and make sure you have solved an error before going to the next.

I don’t remember that syntax error showing up. Which setting it under or did you use the profiler?

No. Anyway the profiler won’t work if you cannot run the project. Simply trying to run shows a flurry of blatant errors. You cannot have missed them. This one is only one of them.

Thats not entirely true. (although maybe the word ‘self’ hasnt shown up previously)
For example:

[code]ReDim CardArray(-1, )

For c = 0 to //what? When would this stop?
App.aMArray(c) = “”
App.TFaMArray(c) = “”
Next[/code]
can never have run in any version of Xojo or RealBasic

There are 51 compiler errors showing up , as Michel says.
Once it compiles, thats when debugging starts…
Where did you say this came from ?

The project is pretty specific for a tutorial, although I cant begin to guess what it is trying to do at the moment…some kind of quiz?
Has it been ‘translated’ from some other programming language?

This advice is gold! When you check a project and the compiler complains, fix the errors in order of their appearance. A missing next at the end of a loop (or a missing end value for a loop like in your case) and similar things may produce a lot of errors in the following code that do not exist in reality – once the structure is completed, they will disappear (not meaning that there won’t be bugs, of course).

There is a good chance there was never an error caused by a me/self problem. It could have been the effect of an incomplete syntax.
The Xojo compiler (32 Bit) is pretty fast, so use it often in your programming. Don’t type in a project from A to Z and then start to check for errors. Use the checks often, run the pieces you have completed, and you won’t be surprised by a project that is full of errors.

I guess I sent over the wrong set. All of those errors are the result from taking out App.Cols. For some reason the numbers I’d put in didn’t get saved.
As to what the function of this is, it’s a flash card program that will get me, the user, more than a databases couple hundreds of characters. When you try to understand complicated definitions you often need a whole dictionary to see it.
I’ll resave it and be certain the replaced values are in it.
By the way, I’ve been using RealBasic since 2005 at least.

Time to ignore this thread…

Put global items in a Module. Not in App.

I tend to put things in App. when I shouldn’t. And when I find that I am doing it, I move them over to a module. Bad habbits are hard to break.