self.close closes app instead of window

Building my first Xojo app on Windows (7) from the ground up - it will run primarily on Windows machines.

The same process I use on Mac behaves differently on Windows.

I have a window (copy of another window being used on a Mac) with a “Run” button and a “Cancel” button. In the Action event of the button is the code self.close and a return. On OS X the window closes but the app is till active and other menu items can be selected.

On windows, the same code closes the entire app. Since the Menu is on the open window, does that mean I have to keep at least one window open all the time? I can do that, it’s just a different process.

In Windows, when all windows are closed, the icon in the taskbar disappears, but the app may still be running.

My experience with Windows is that when the last window of an app is closed, the app quits. Unlike on the Mac, where closing the last window of an app doesn’t close the app.

If that is the case, set Autoquit = False in App Open. Then the app should remain active, even when all windows are closed.

I got interrupted during my last reply, so didn’t finish …

I wanted to say that Windows usual behavior is that closing the last window of an app closes the app. This is not just for Xojo apps. So this is what your customer should expect.

When I first changed over to the Mac from Windows, it took me a while getting used to an app NOT closing on the Mac when the last window is closed.

Thanks Guys,

always know I will get the answer here…

The main problem in my opinion is that closing the last window also removes any visual indication that an app is currently running. And as noted, since the menu disappear, the only way to get back to such and app would be through Task List.

What apps usually do in such a case, is to add a TrayItem in the notification zone, so user can restore the windowed UI.

[quote=335189:@Michel Bujardet]The main problem in my opinion is that closing the last window also removes any visual indication that an app is currently running. And as noted, since the menu disappear, the only way to get back to such and app would be through Task List.

What apps usually do in such a case, is to add a TrayItem in the notification zone, so user can restore the windowed UI.[/quote]

Exactly. Add a tray icon to give the user the option of re-opening your app when he needs it.