Searching .xojo_binary_project files in Finder

Since my upgrade to El Capitan searching in Finder for code parts in .xojo_binary_project files does not yield any results anymore. It works for .rbp files though. Any ideas what the reason could be?

Did you install Thomas Tempelmann’s spotlight plugin?

http://www.tempel.org/RB/SpotlightImporter

Thanks, by why should that be needed? If I rename a . xojo_binary_project to .rbp, Spotlight returns the correct results. It is the suffix which makes the difference – why?

By the way there is no RB .mdimporter in /Library/Spotlight.

Well, after installing plugin, did you rebuild the spotlight index?

I did not install the plugin.

What I would like to know is, why a .xojo_binary_project is not searched by Spotlight, but the same .xojo_binary_project renamed to .rbp is properly searched by it. Why is a file suffix preventing Spotlight searching files.

So I don’t want a solution – I want to know why this happens.

[quote=254927:@Eli Ott]I did not install the plugin.

What I would like to know is, why a .xojo_binary_project is not searched by Spotlight, but the same .xojo_binary_project renamed to .rbp is properly searched by it. Why is a file suffix preventing Spotlight searching files.

So I don’t want a solution – I want to know why this happens.[/quote]

I bet all lies in “binary”. Spotlight searches only text files. I bet .xojo_code works just like .rbp. As well as .xojo_xml_project.

Probably not, as renaming the file from .xojo_binary_project to .rbp suddenly yields results.

Spotlight got frightened to be exposed in this forum :wink:

Seriously, I believe Spotlight may take binary as an indication that it is not a text file. Which is quite true. Rbp is a text format, so is xojo_code. But xojo_binary_project is indubitably not text inside.

I like that one!

Yes, but why does it show results from rbp-files which are binary files too? rbp-files are even listed in the “Documents”-section of Spotlight not in the “Developer”-section.

Check out the UTIs of the old and the new file endings. The new file endings have messed up UTIs.

Drag an rbp to TextEdit, you will see plain text.

No, not here. Binary. That’s how an RB starts:

RbBF2>BlokProjPSIVStrna2012.01 ACnmStrnAChpStrnACsvStrnVer1Strn1 Ver2Strn0 Ver3Strn0 RelsStrn0 NnRlStrn0 RegnStrnSVerStrnLVerStrnIVerStrnaiviInt DVewInt 2A=VprTpInt DLanInt CLanInt DEncInt BflgInt @UsBFInt prWAInt IconGrupEndGInt MacCStrnBCarStrn…

[quote=254960:@Eli Ott]No, not here. Binary. That’s how an RB starts:

RbBF2>‘BlokProjPSIVStrna2012.01 ACnmStrnAChpStrnACsvStrnVer1Strn1 Ver2Strn0 Ver3Strn0 RelsStrn0 NnRlStrn0 RegnStrnSVerStrnLVerStrnIVerStrnaiviInt DVewInt 2A=VprTpInt DLanInt CLanInt DEncInt BflgInt @UsBFInt prWAInt IconGrupEndGInt MacCStrnBCarStrn…[/quote]

Just open a xojo_binary_project. It is far from being as clear.

It’s identical. That’s also the reason while renaming a xojo_binary_project file to an rbp suffix suddenly yields results in Spotlight.

Yes, but that does not change the fact the probably Spotlight believes binary indicates it cannot scan the content. It is not a matter of data, it is a matter of extension.

See http://guides.macrumors.com/Adding_filetypes_to_Spotlight

Exactly. And I’m curious to know why. That is the reason of my post.

OK. I tried to tell you that since Spotlight does not have xojo_binary_project in its dictionary, it tries to guess the content from the extension. And since it says binary, it believes it is not text. Chances are if you rename to xojo_ginaro_project it will take it as text. Now this is as good an idea and any other. You may want to ask the same question to Apple Developer support.

Could it be that you have an old RB Spotlight importer installed somewhere, but none for Xojo files?

Sorry: how do you do that with 10.11.4 (El Capitan) ?

With time, either I forgot how to do some things or doing these things have changed dramatically (or was removed *)…

• like check / repair permissions: I do not know if this still exists with El Capitan !