Scrolling in Xojo

I’m only about a month into trying and evaluating Xojo as my potential, primary dev environment, and have reached a point where I needed to be able to scroll to show content of varying lengths. So in the course of trying to learn how to do this, I landed on this rather disheartening thread in the forums:

https://forum.xojo.com/21986-embedding-container-into-canvas/4

My question is: does the referenced thread give me a good idea of what it takes just to scroll in Xojo? (It seems very un-Xojo.)

I would be considered an inexperienced programmer, although not completely without programming experience. I’m at a point where I’d like to pursue developing software full time and I’m trying to decide whether to commit to Xojo, or to put my time, effort and funds into platform-specific tools for each platform. I really like the idea of developing once for multiple platforms, but not if it removes significant capabilities and/or is exceptionally difficult in many areas (such as basics like scrolling).

there are 3 kinds of developers

1. those who know nothing and are willing to learn
  2. those that think they know everything,
  3. those that think a given programming environment should do all the work for them
  4. those that know quite a bit, but realize that even they have a lot to learn

the only “good” ones are #1 and #4, because each realizes they have a lot still to learn, are willing to learn it, and in the case of most on this forum are willing to share what they have learned with others in those same two categories.

I won’t put a label on those in category #2 and #3.

Which one are you?

[quote=215991:@jean-paul devulder]link text
link text[/quote]

Much thanks Jean-Paul! Much more logical, straightforward and concise than any of the techniques I’d seen thus far. It took me a few minutes to get the Canvas nested within a Canvas technique. Then the mousewheel/trackpad scrolling still needs to be hooked up, but I was able to get that going fairly easily.

[quote=215996:@Dave S]there are 3 kinds of developers

3. those that think a given programming environment should do all the work for them

the only “good” ones are #1 and #4, because each realizes they have a lot still to learn, are willing to learn it, and in the case of most on this forum are willing to share what they have learned with others in those same two categories.

Which one are you?[/quote]

[i]Error - ArrayIndexOutOfBounds

• AttemptedToDefine4TypesOfDevelopers(only 3 types allocated)[/i]

[quote=215996:@Dave S]there are 3 kinds of developers

Which one are you?[/quote]
#5 is called, “off-topic writer”