saving / opening files in different versions of Xojo

Before I knew that Canvas.Graphics was removed in Xojo2018r3, I opened a project, made a few small changes and saved it in the new version. When building failed because of this change, I went to try to export the project as XML so I could import it back into 2018r2 without a version warning. Well, xml exporting isn’t there any more…

So I just quit r3 and booted r2, loaded the project and ignored the warning, and then saved the project in r2. Peachy.

Then I quit and open the project again in r2, and *** I still get the warning *** that this was saved with a more recent version of Xojo. No, it wasn’t. I saved it with the same version with which I am now opening it. This isn’t right.

I’m not able to reproduce this on macOS 10.12.6, after saving with r2 and open again with r2 I don’t get the warning. I only get the warning when I save with r3 and open with r2.

Are you using mac?
Are you saving over the same filename?

I guess the saving process include the version all the time, it’s weird that you save with r2 and after that get the warning that it was saved with a newer version.

There was an issue like this once before: <https://xojo.com/issue/45921>
I can’t get to testing this right now, but Alberto did your test procedure include leaving the file open and saving again in R2? That’s what the issue was previously, and closing/reopening the project after saving would muffle the warning.

Tim, looks like the same thing again. Weird.

No, it was a quick test, I followed Aaron information (open, warning, save, quit, open again).

Tim, I see that you were saving to Text format, from what I read Aaron can’t save in XML then I guess could be binary save in this case.

Yes, I described that wrong, I didn’t quit Xojo, just closed the project then reopened it after I had saved it. Sorry, that’s a major difference.

Correct.

Sorry, I can’t reproduce, I get:

• warning opening a r3 on r2
  • warning at saving with r2
  • closing the project and opening again, no warning
  • closing r2, launch again, open project, no warning

If I modify the project again in r3 then open with r2, I get again the open warning, but no more saving warning.

I can’t reproduce it either… It has been a long week, maybe I’m going crazy.

Not crazy Aaron. Read below:

The HiDPI / Retina Picture have been changed and is no more readable by old Xojo IDE versions (pre Xojo 2018r3).

To check that:
a. create a brand new project with Xojo 2018r3,
b. Drop one Picture (screen shot, artwork, whatever) in the Navigator,
c. Assign that image to something in the project window (a BevelButton, Canvas, etc.),
d. Save the project to disk,
e. Try to open it with Xojo 2015r1 (that is the version I use).

Reliable at 200% of the time.

[quote=411716:@Aaron Hunt]Before I knew that Canvas.Graphics was removed in Xojo2018r3, I opened a project, made a few small changes and saved it in the new version. When building failed because of this change, I went to try to export the project as XML so I could import it back into 2018r2 without a version warning. Well, xml exporting isn’t there any more…

So I just quit r3 and booted r2, loaded the project and ignored the warning, and then saved the project in r2. Peachy.

Then I quit and open the project again in r2, and *** I still get the warning *** that this was saved with a more recent version of Xojo. No, it wasn’t. I saved it with the same version with which I am now opening it. This isn’t right.[/quote]
If you haven’t added any features that are specific to 2018r3 (like using IsDarkMode), you’ll be fine.

Unles I have trouble in mind, I do found the entry in the Release Note:

Removed Window.Graphics and Canvas.Graphics properties. Use the Paint event for drawing.

But I do not found Graphics in Xojo 2015r1 !

Edit The explanation is in the Feedback:
The Graphics property on Window and Canvas have been deprecated since 2011.
So, this not a new thing, but an old one that change nothing (AFAIK).

I do not know if a new Picture (HiDPI / Retina) is 2018r3 specific, but this is the only thing that was in a 2018r3 project a friend sent me earlier today.

I was not able to open it with 2015r1: I get the two warning messages (MsgBox).

But, when I open that project with 2018r3, delete the four icons, save the project.
I was able to open it with 2015r1 and modify it. [there was only 1 image in each Picture).

Now, what I say…

It was probably an ImageSet… that was introduced (I believe in 2016)

You are correct ! Since I do not use that, the name was lost in my mind.

So, I deleted all image sets, saved the project with a different name and I was able to open it with 2015r1.

Thanks Dave.

Warning:

For 64 Bits testings, I opened a current project developed with 2015r1 with 2018r3: the project was set to 32 Bits. I had to manually set it to 64 Bits.

If you want to do the same, start changing it to 64 Bits.

[quote=411958:@Emile Schwarz]Warning:

For 64 Bits testings, I opened a current project developed with 2015r1 with 2018r3: the project was set to 32 Bits. I had to manually set it to 64 Bits.

If you want to do the same, start changing it to 64 Bits.[/quote]
Right. We intentionally don’t change that because it could introduce a behavior without you knowing it. We do the same for HiDPI and the new Dark Mode.

And this is good. A change in the future (2019r3 ?) will also be good as then, people will not make tests, but will open old project to improve them. IMHO.