Sandboxed apps and files

I am sitting at the hospital with a loved one, and on their semi-broken wifi, I can’t to a full search for this. So I apologize up front.

if I have a sandboxed app (not saying MAS app but it could be, sandboxed at a minimum), can it see files in “Application Support/company.name” that another sandboxed app writes to? All my apps write to “Application Support/nocturnal coding monkeys/” for their log files, dump files, etc. I have a log viewer app that reads my logs (and only my log files) and allows you to go through them (nice for non-hard-core-geeks). It does things like delete old ones (keeping on # logs), archiving the logs (.zip to save space), and soon the ability to “ship” the log to our website to help in debugging issues.

but with sandboxing, everyone gets their own little sandbox to play in. Is there a way that certain files to be saved automagically to a centralized place (like where I am storing them now) or have an app to have permissions to go into my various apps little sandboxes and get the files out?

thanks again. I really hate semi-broken wifi setups. I think if I turned a cellphone into a wifi hotspot it could do better for all the guests of the hospital over what they offer. I am just glad I am able to get to the forums here without too much trouble.

thanks again!
sb

There is a temporary entitlement for doing just this, in App Wrapper 3, it’s listed at the bottom of the “Capabilities” pane as “Shared Preferences”.

Because it is a Temporary Entitlement, you may have trouble getting approval for it, should you ship on the Mac App Store.

P.S. I hope that everything is the best it can be for your loved one.

[quote=169228:@Sam Rowlands]There is a temporary entitlement for doing just this, in App Wrapper 3, it’s listed at the bottom of the “Capabilities” pane as “Shared Preferences”.

Because it is a Temporary Entitlement, you may have trouble getting approval for it, should you ship on the Mac App Store.[/quote]

if the app (log viewer) is “signed” but not a MAS app, it “should” work. correct?

its touchy at the moment. she is 91.5 years old so anything out of the ordinary is touchy. And thanks for the good wishes.

In order to get your Sandboxed apps to write the files in a single location, you’ll need this entitlement.

The other way around this that I can think of, is providing your log viewer isn’t Sandboxed, it can traverse the ‘Containers’ folder, looking for the reverse DNS of your site. So if you wanted to find the data for Ohanaware apps, you’d look for “com.ohanaware.*”, then you simply navigate in each container till you get to where the log files are stored. I personally wouldn’t recommend altering the files in the container from the non-sandboxed application (incase Apple add some security to it), but I see no harm in reading these files.

Fingers crossed. My great grandmother was 94 when she was hit by a truck, the doctors said she’d never walk again. She insisted she’d prove them wrong, and sure enough a couple of years later, she was walking to the shops again. She’s been a great example of determination to me throughout my life.