Safe Harbor/Privacy Shield rendered obsolete

In today’s news I read that Trump Administration will allow US Companies To use private user data as they see fit without any consent. The box of pandora is opened and this act clearly violates EU/US Privacy Shield Agreements. It makes me to rethink use of any US-based services and software.

Just wait until Congress or the Justice system gets hold of that… With any luck it’ll be struck down by Friday.

But i am sure, DT will find a way.

US is no longer a state, it’s just a regular company…

Wait, the latest outrage is the reversal of rules that have been in place for only a few months? Hard pass.

For more:

http://macdailynews.com/2017/03/28/congress-votes-to-repeal-fcc-internet-privacy-rules/

Source? I’ve seen info on FCC changes in regards to FCC rules for ISPs, but nothing general regarding other regs.

I don’t necessarily like the ISP data change, but I don’t believe that any of that info was private anyway. I think the new rule allows them to monetize it.

Yeah, definitely more complicated than the headlines. I think my statement on monetization may have been from one of those headlines. Probably it was already happening.

(Shouldn’t this be in Off-Topic, btw?)

Right, switched channel

Technically, it has always been a company.

This will just speed up the proliferation of https services.

If you also think that just because this is in force that you data isn’t undergoing similar filtering/searching then you’re living in a bubble.

No data is secure/sacred unless its encrypted on a memory stick and buried in your back garden :wink:

Not anymore Julian. Now, we know where your data is hidden! :wink:

Doh! Where’d I put my shovel!

As @Kevin Windham mentioned, be very sure that you actually read the article and not JUST the click-bait headlines. Also, double check the source because there are a lot of “reporting agencies” out there who love nothing more than attempt to discredit the new presidency. With regards to that “safe harbor” ruling, the old FCC leadership was too far-reaching, creating more “Big Brother” restrictions than any sort of “privacy shield”. All they’ve done is reverse what was a bad decision in the first place.

All I KNOW about the new leadership so far is that within one month of the change, 3 very restrictive employment laws were removed allowing my company to run more efficiently and offer the ability to add staff and my retirement portfolio jumped back into the black across the board for the first time in 9 years.

[quote=323466:@Tim Jones]As @Kevin Windham mentioned, be very sure that you actually read the article and not JUST the click-bait headlines. Also, double check the source because there are a lot of “reporting agencies” out there who love nothing more than attempt to discredit the new presidency. With regards to that “safe harbor” ruling, the old FCC leadership was too far-reaching, creating more “Big Brother” restrictions than any sort of “privacy shield”. All they’ve done is reverse what was a bad decision in the first place.

All I KNOW about the new leadership so far is that within one month of the change, 3 very restrictive employment laws were removed allowing my company to run more efficiently and offer the ability to add staff and my retirement portfolio jumped back into the black across the board for the first time in 9 years.[/quote]

Sigh. All of these claims are misleading or outright false, but this is probably not the forum in which to have a political debate.

There is a technical claim which is also misleading:

[quote=323432:@JulianS]This will just speed up the proliferation of https services.
[/quote]

The problem is that even with HTTPS, the ISP can see the IP address and server DNS name that you are connecting to (even if they can’t see anything beyond that). The problem is that just knowing what websites you are connecting to and at what times reveals a TON of private information about a person.

VPN or Tor…

VPN I agree with into an anonymizer service, but since TOR was developed by the dark side for hacking and illegal purposes, who’s getting access to your data from the TOR side of things? I recommend this blog from 2014 (and it’s only gotten worse since then):
Should you trust TOR

For another reason TOR is not an option: Speed! It might be okay if you are searching something or uploading/ downloading documents but It’s simply not useable in day-to-day business. My scheduled steps for the next quarter:

1. I am planning to setup a rented virtual server located in a German NOC with Squid/Squidguard Proxy and Mailserver where all my mobile devices and routers are connecting to via OpenVPN. No website owner and no US provider will get direct access to my devices. GeoIP location simply wouldn’t work. And as nice side-effect. Even my local ISP would not see, what I am doing.

2. No Apple iCloud anymore. When migrated my Dropbox to Nextcloud I’ve already enabled CalDAV and CardDAV on my macOS and iOS devices. It’s just Copy & Paste to move all calendars and contacts to my Nextcloud.

I just read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network) and do not found anything from that.

That said, even a kitchen knife can be used for bad stuff (killing people).

It was developed by reputable computer scientists working for/with the US government.

TOR is not confidential, it’s anonymous. Use SSL/TLS to protect confidentiality over TOR.

Tor is not anonymous, like bitcoin or any connected service. None of them are anonymous we all leave traces which are stored and tracable.