Running Xojo Apps on a MS Surface Tablet

Hi,

I have a customer who purchased my app who has an MS Surface 2.0 tablet. He reports that the app will not run. Does anyone know if Real Studio 2011 R3 or Xojo apps will run on a Surface 2.0? If so, is there something you have to do differently to make that happen? I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience with these tablets and Xojo.

If its an RT model it is using an ARM processor which Xojo does not support. If it’s a PRO model it would have an X86 processor which should work as it’s using a full copy of Windows. I would check to see which Surface Tablet model they are using. Most people don’t realize the cheaper RT model is so limited in terms of application support.

Just a guess here.

Customer may have a NVIDIA Tegra CPU (Non intel) with Surface RT OS. I am not sure if RS will run on this.

Surface RT: NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30
Surface Pro: Intel Core i5 (third-generation, “Ivy Bridge”) with Intel HD graphics

Thank you for the quick replies. The regular Surface 2.0 will not run Xojo apps, but the Surface Pro 2.0 will because it takes the full Windows OS. Thanks for the confirmation. :slight_smile:

Yup! Bad design IMHO, as many users can’t tell the difference when they purchase, and in many countries there isn’t the return policy there is in the U.S. (Once you’ve bought it, it’s yours).

I’ve heard that RT will probably be phased out by the end of this year.

As a Mac guy, I tend not to notice Microsoft news but it looks like they’ve just released/announced for pre-ordering, the Surface 3 which has Intel i3/i5/i7 processors.

Any thoughts as to how this might turn out for Xojo developing?

Have to say, it does look very nice…

My son has a regular Surface tablet (ARM) and I should say it is a rather nice piece of hardware. The keyboard and trackpad area work flawlessly, so it can be used mostly like a portable PC.

From what I understand, the Surface 3 will be able to run Desktop windows programs, so Xojo builds will probably work. As for the IDE, only practical tests will tell.

[quote=91115:@Garry Pettet]Any thoughts as to how this might turn out for Xojo developing?
[/quote]

Take a look at the Dell Venue Pro 8 as well. $200/$300 on Amazon if you want an x86 tablet running Windows 8 that will run Xojo apps. I’m very bullish on these things. Most exciting thing for Xojo developers since Web Edition shipped.

I have the first version of the Surface Pro (running Windows 8.1) and it has worked well with all of my Xojo programs. It will do everything that my desktop computer can do, all in a lightweight package :slight_smile:

My Toshiba Encore 2 Gb, 30 Gb disk, 32 Gb micro-SD-card, quadcore 1.3 Ghz Atom runs Xojo IDE, RealStudio, Virtual Box with Mint Linux with Xojo in it, but it is not the fastest pc. However everything works, even Apache runs with a number of test Xojo web-apps.
All on Windows 8, the most versatile OS!
Try that all on an IPad… :smiley:

The iPad is not a computer :wink: