Rounding dilemma redux

Recently switched to version 2022 r4.1 and discovered a rounding issue. I have a project created that demonstrates the issue but it won’t let me upload it. Send me a pm and I’ll be happy to share.

The original amount stored in a database is $ 10,000,000.25.

If you run this project and click on the “Add $ 10 Million” button, it will increment the amount shown by $ 10,000,000.10 and save it to the database, then extract the new amount from the database and display it on the screen.

The amounts should always end in 5, but note what happens when you get over $ 100 million. In XOJO, Version 2022 r4.1, they suddenly start ending in 0, which means it is rounding up to the nearest .10.

In XOJO, Version 2022 r3.2, the rounding continues to round properly and the amounts continue to round properly and always end in 5 even when going into the hundreds of million.

Shouldn’t we at least expect xojo to maintain some consistency in dealing with floating point numbers from version to version?

You can share your project using dropbox, onedrive, google drive and post the link here.

1 Like

Kind of. But in case of a previous behavior being incorrect, they should fix it, announce the change, and people, if affected, I don’t know how, negatively by a fix, should handle it.

On the other side, if such change is due to a bug introduction, it needs investigation and fix.

You’ve mentioned a database multiple times here and I’m assuming because it’s shareable, you’re talking about SQLite. It looks from your description that this only manifests when the data is passed into the database and then retrieved. Is that correct? If so, does it also do this if you just add the values in a variable of type Double without passing through the database?

It would also be helpful to know what platform you’re working on.

Looking at release notes:

2022r4: Updated to SQLite 3.39.4.
2021r3: Updated to SQLite 3.36.0

Skimming over the SQLite release notes, I don’t see anything obvious, but it would explain why this suddenly occurred in 22r4

Houston, we a have a HUGE problem!

I’ve made a Test Case:

Var db As New SQLiteDatabase
Var testFile As FolderItem = SpecialFolder.Desktop.Child("UnitTestAmount.sqlite")

#Pragma BreakOnExceptions Off
Try 
  testFile.Remove // remove last test
Catch
End

db.DatabaseFile = testFile

db.CreateDatabase

Var amount As Currency = 10000000.25
Var sum As Currency = 10000000.10

db.ExecuteSQL("CREATE TABLE UnitTestAmount (amount REAL);")
db.ExecuteSQL("INSERT INTO UnitTestAmount (amount) VALUES (?);", amount)

For i As Integer = 1 to 100
  amount = amount + sum
  db.ExecuteSQL("INSERT INTO UnitTestAmount (amount) VALUES (?);", sum)
Next

Var rs As RowSet

rs = db.SelectSQL("SELECT SUM(amount) AS DBAmount FROM UnitTestAmount")

Var dbAmount As String = rs.Column("DBAmount").CurrencyValue.ToString

rs.Close
db.Close

MessageBox "amount: "+amount.ToString+ " DB amount: "+dbAmount

Quit

Remember, my international settings uses comma as decimal separator for the presentation layer.
Xojo had bugs related to mixing things in the past, not sure if this adds to this case too.

1 Like

There are more problems in the internal Xojo processing.

Exponential problems

1 Like

Looks like the DB engine / Xojo interface is losing precision and truncated significant digits causing part of such problem.

We see

1.010000010e+9

Should be 1.01000001025e+9

Doubles could hold 15 digits with precision. 101000001025 has only 12 digits.

So I see 2 things:

• Xojo DB Engine precision (SQLite only? Framework?) is completely broken. Truncation of significant digits should never occur before 15 digits.

• Column.CurrencyValue() has a scientific notation (exponential notation) bug. (1.010000010e+9 is 1010000010.0 not 1.01)

Are there more places where scientific notation is bad interpreted by Xojo? Xojo needs to investigate too.

1 Like

Thank you @Rick_Araujo for taking the time to properly test this. I have seen the previous bugs you mentioned, and I am a little nervous now as to the extent these bugs might pop up.

I am not using international settings, and instead using the US separator, which hopefully insulates me a bit from this issue.

Regardless, this is very concerning, and I really appreciate your efforts to clearly point out this issue.

1 Like

This affects me too. It holds a project here, and thanks to Odin and Zeus I’ve not finished it and released it.

Currency/Floating point and Database in Xojo framework seems plagued by bugs since forever, they fix one, 2 others rise up.

Run the test. If the results are like mine, you are exposed to the problem.

2 Likes

Yikes, I get the same result as you:

So this one is not locale related.

Last Autumn I found a Xojo bug (subsequently fixed) with large integer values (larger than 32 bits):

rs.Column("somecol").IntegerValue

was only giving back 32 bits. To get all 64 bits required:

rs.Column("somecol").Int64Value

This was late last year and was fixed soon after. I wonder if something similar may be happening for these Reals - which will be 64 bit floating point in SQLite. Perhaps only 32 bits is making its way back to the Currency variable (I know nothing of these currency types, sorry).

Has anyone posted a Feedback yet?

Here is a link to my project. The amounts displayed should always end in .05 but once you get over $ 100 million the rounding is to the tenths instead of to the hundredths.

With variables being incremented there is no problem. It’s only when reading the data from a database to a variable and then displaying.

Rounding bug

I’m preparing a complete test isolating error by error to the Xojo team to fix it, then I’ll report it.

2 Likes

Thank you Rick.

We’ve confirmed the problem in both Mac and Windows - Sqlite only.

I’ll post this test suite:

Var db As New SQLiteDatabase
Var testFile As FolderItem = SpecialFolder.Desktop.Child("UnitTestAmount.sqlite")

#Pragma BreakOnExceptions Off
Try 
  testFile.Remove // remove last test
Catch
End

db.DatabaseFile = testFile

db.CreateDatabase

Var xojoAmount As Currency = 10000000.25
Var sum As Currency = 10000000.10

db.ExecuteSQL("CREATE TABLE UnitTestAmount (amount REAL);")
db.ExecuteSQL("INSERT INTO UnitTestAmount (amount) VALUES (?);", xojoAmount)

For i As Integer = 1 to 100
  xojoAmount = xojoAmount + sum
  db.ExecuteSQL("INSERT INTO UnitTestAmount (amount) VALUES (?);", sum)
Next

Var rs As RowSet

rs = db.SelectSQL("SELECT SUM(amount) AS DBAmount FROM UnitTestAmount")

Var amountReference As Currency = 1010000010.25        // That's the correct sum
Var amountReferenceStr As String = "1010000010.25"
Var amountReferenceDoubleStr As String = "1010000010.2500"

Var xojoAmountStr As String = xojoAmount.ToString

Var dbAmountCur As Currency = rs.Column("DBAmount").CurrencyValue   // total amount from DB

Var dbAmountStr As String = rs.Column("DBAmount").CurrencyValue.ToString // total string from DB

Var dbAmountDoubleCurrency As Currency = rs.Column("DBAmount").DoubleValue  // total amount from DB as Double

Var dbAmountDoubleCurrencyStr As String = rs.Column("DBAmount").DoubleValue.ToString(Nil, "#0.0000")   // total from DB as Double String

rs.Close
db.Close

Var numFails As Integer = 0

If xojoAmount <> amountReference Then 
  numFails = numFails + 1
  // Fix it and resume
  Break // Xojo sum failed
End

If xojoAmountStr <> amountReferenceStr Then 
  numFails = numFails + 1
  // Fix it and resume
  Break // Xojo sum as string seems invalid, inspect it