responsive web apps

Now that Google announced that it will give higher ranking to web pages that have responsive pages to accommodate the increase in Mobile device users. Does this mean that a web app hanging off a responsive web page could be as big and as small as the designer wants or does the web app have to be responsive. Frankly, I find the whole responsive thing a pain in the you know what. Its like trying to design the Titanic while looking through a telescope. Damn! iPad users and their iPhones.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2015/04/rolling-out-mobile-friendly-update.html

You got a test there. A site of mine using Web Edition performed well in terms of speed. The main issue I have is size of the characters and links too close together.

In terms of design, you may want to use two sets of pages : one for computers, the other for mobile devices, and your app displays whichever is best according to the value of Session.Browser.

I really hate responsive design. The entire point of these full-screen phones was to display the “desktop” web, not a mobile site. More often than not, these scaled down sites leave off information or don’t format correctly. Very, very rarely do I see a site that is responsive/mobile-friendly, full content, and whose content is not screwed up by the small size.

I also hate sites that try to do cute B.S. with gestures, which never work perfectly and only get in the way of the system gestures I’m trying to use.

And now Google is rewarding sites for this crap.

[quote=187800:@Thom McGrath]I really hate responsive design. The entire point of these full-screen phones was to display the “desktop” web, not a mobile site. More often than not, these scaled down sites leave off information or don’t format correctly. Very, very rarely do I see a site that is responsive/mobile-friendly, full content, and whose content is not screwed up by the small size.

I also hate sites that try to do cute B.S. with gestures, which never work perfectly and only get in the way of the system gestures I’m trying to use.

And now Google is rewarding sites for this crap.[/quote]

I was kind of dismayed by the result of the site I submitted, which I conceived specifically for iPhone. Their claim that fonts are too small is kind of preposterous : they are on the iphone screen the very same size as default.

I guess Google is trying to cope with the fact that 60% of browsing is now done by portable devices, but their automatic testing algorithm is rather ridiculous. Anyway, they could not care less about directing to content, if it was not to sell their ridiculous adds. Or their copy cat offering snatched from their own customers.

I am not going to lose sleep over it, though. My business being intensely desktop/web development, it is geared towards computers, and not gadgets. Actually, when I was using that bullshït of adwords, I had even turned of any display on portable devices. Now I got some smarts : adwords is just as bad a business as the one arm bandit. And better target quality visitors than airheads with six seconds attention span.

From what I know of the OP site, I doubt very much he wants to attract the Candy Crush fans crowd. Well targeted keywords will probably do much better than any responsive charade to attract the right prospects. Notwithstanding the very basic fact that Google does not know how to index Xojo apps webpages…

[quote=187833:@Michel Bujardet]I was kind of dismayed by the result of the site I submitted, which I conceived specifically for iPhone. Their claim that fonts are too small is kind of preposterous : they are on the iphone screen the very same size as default.

I guess Google is trying to cope with the fact that 60% of browsing is now done by portable devices, but their automatic testing algorithm is rather ridiculous. Anyway, they could not care less about directing to content, if it was not to sell their ridiculous adds. Or their copy cat offering snatched from their own customers.

I am not going to lose sleep over it, though. My business being intensely desktop/web development, it is geared towards computers, and not gadgets. Actually, when I was using that bullshït of adwords, I had even turned of any display on portable devices. Now I got some smarts : adwords is just as bad a business as the one arm bandit. And better target quality visitors than airheads with six seconds attention span.

From what I know of the OP site, I doubt very much he wants to attract the Candy Crush fans crowd. Well targeted keywords will probably do much better than any responsive charade to attract the right prospects. Notwithstanding the very basic fact that Google does not know how to index Xojo apps webpages…[/quote]

Damn right! Since when did Google become judge and jury for creative content. Apple and the others boasts or more screen real-estate, better Java tricks and integration, then google comes along and says “sorry boys, your web site now has to fit on the head of a pin because every d’ick**** in the world has gone out and purchased a phone with a 2” screen". Not impressed!