Report text overlapping

Working on creating the Report design. When looking at the exported PDF, the text is overlapping on places and shows text outside the boundary of the Report Field. Why is this?

After some googling I found that others also have this problem and that using the report designer isn’t very popular. Should I use another route to create the print options?

You have a gremlin in your text.

And… without the text and the used code, can you hope a decent answer ?

LiveText of your screen shot, pasted as is in a Xojo made application:

as you can see, no problems, but differences from your screen shot…

Paste your text into Xojo Code Editor, copy it from there, compile and paste the result: do you still get the bad behavior ? If no, I am right your text have gremlins (Xojo may warn you at paste time). If not…

I’d better started by searching your text from Google.

Yes it may (must I wrote it can ?) holds gremlins…

Write your own text and work with that instead of text found in the internet (too common those days)… if this is really the case as I think.

I think it’s a paragraph problem because the text only overlaps at the start of a new paragraph. This problem disappears when disabling the WordWrap property, but then other problems appear.

I’m back. I took your text first paragraph and you have to do the same if you want to know what happens.

I pasted many times and do not get troubles with it:

The text, as text (courtesy of Ventura’s LiveText):

Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge’s name was good upon Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a doornail. Mind! I don’t mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a doornail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of iron mongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my house. Scrooge knew he was dead? Of course he did. How could it be otherwise? Scrooge and he were partners for I don’t know how many years. Scrooge was his sole executor, his sole administrator, his sole assign, his sole residuary legatee, his sole friend, and sole mourner. And even Scrooge was not so dreadfully cut u by the sad event, but that he was an excellent man of business on the very day of the funeral, and solemnized it with an undoubted bargain.

I was right, I found many occurences of your text in the internet; as an example:

Retrieved from:

This text holds non breaking spaces (the text in red) and end of line character (unknow value…).

PLEASE: type your own text and if you find the same troubles, share the text as a file to download so others can replicate (eventually) your problem.

As is, and for me, this is not a Xojo bug.

BTW: I already found this problem years ago from a friend and my pal too took the text from internet. QuarkXPress does not liked it.

Thanks for checking this Emile, this text was actually copied from my old Filemaker project, which will have maybe more Gremlins. I will clean the story text up and see how it goes.

edit:
No, still the same problem at the start of a new paragraph. This text I typed in, no copy/paste:

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 16.24.34

That’s just a bug needing a report. Make one. :wink:

https://xojo.com/issues