Replace 3 single VPS's with 1 well dimensioned VPS ?

Currently I have 3 separate CentOS VPS’s (1vCore, 512MB memory) running with my Xojo web-applications. All using My-SQL databases. I use Cpanel and WHM to manage them. The web-applications are not mission critical and have a maximum of 4 concurrent users. The only problem is that I have to do updates, blacklisting, etc in three-fold every time.

I’m thinking of getting a better dimensioned CentOS VPS with 5vCores and 10GB memory. This probably makes maintenance a lot easier but the downside is of course that availability of all my 3 applications depends on one single server.

What are your opinions? Would you recommend this?

Thanks in advance.

[quote=160065:@Richard Schmidt]Currently I have 3 separate CentOS VPS’s (1vCore, 512MB memory) running with my Xojo web-applications. All using My-SQL databases. I use Cpanel and WHM to manage them. The web-applications are not mission critical and have a maximum of 4 concurrent users. The only problem is that I have to do updates, blacklisting, etc in three-fold every time.

I’m thinking of getting a better dimensioned CentOS VPS with 5vCores and 10GB memory. This probably makes maintenance a lot easier but the downside is of course that availability of all my 3 applications depends on one single server.

What are your opinions? Would you recommend this?[/quote]

I currently have one VPS for Xojo apps, and one hosted space for HTML pages. Separate companies. I am going to get another VPS with yet another company to host Xojo apps. The idea is to have some level of fault tolerance. In particular, I am going to release an app that needs to connect to a Xojo web service, and I cannot afford to have the service down, so my app will first check with my current VPS, and if it was down for any reason (including an app crash), it will go for the second one.

That said, it is my own need. From what you describe, maybe one bigger VPS will be more convenient.

You really have two questions here:

1. Do my performance needs require I go from 1.5gb RAM total to 10gb.
  2. Do I require near 100% uptime.

The first answer is probably not. If you are operating fine now with 3 512mb instances then 10gb is overkill.

The second answer takes you down a much more complicated path. You need to think about fault tolerance, data replication, real time backups/restoration, DNS failover, etc.

If you are just looking to save yourself time then I’d consider a fully managed service.

Well for my own websites and apps I am trying to put everything on an single mid range level VPC. But for customers I prefer single entry level VPS’s because thats the only way to isolate them from each other (mostly because of security, availabilty and data privacy) . Let them decide who’s managing the server. If they want do this by them own, good! If they buy your management services, thats far better and bringing you ancillary revenue.

Thanks for all your considerations!

I know 10GB is overrated but that’s just how my hosting provider scales the different types of VPS’s. 100% uptime is not required. 98% would be just fine. The mentioned arguments as isolation of customers’ data and security are very valid and indeed something to keep in mind.

I’ll have some good thinking about it.