Removing the title bar from a floating window

Does anyone have any declares they are willing to share to remove the title bar and close buttons from a floating window on macOS, Windows (and if possible GTK)? I don’t want to use a plain box / modal window frame type because I need the other app windows to remain interactive whilst the titlebar-less window is frontmost.

If it’s ok for you, it’ll be easier to have a plain box that you tell to be always on top rather than a floating window that you tell to have no title bar.
There are declares for each 3 systems to tell a window to float above other windows. Removing the titlebar of an existing window… I’m only aware of a Windows way. :thinking:

@GarryPettet Did you locate the Windows code for this? If not I have a few questions for you before I answer this as the answers will determine how complex the answer is.

Yep. I can share it. Just away from my computer at the moment, I’ll post the code a bit later.

1 Like

Here’s a super simple example project hiding the title bar for a floating window using declares on all three platforms. Thanks to @Sam_Rowlands for pointing me in the correct direction to doing it on macOS.

Binary Project Link

5 Likes

Thanks for the example. Do you know, how to modify the code for DesktopWindow from API 2? I get this Error:

Parameter “NSWindowInstance” expects type Integer, but this is type Ptr.
AppKit.NSWindowSetStyleMask(Me.Handle) = AppKit.NSWindowStyleMaskBorderless

Does WinHWND still work?
The docs say it is deprecated, but have nothing to explain why the integer Handle on Windows is now a Ptr instead of an integer.
It may be a pointer TO an integer , but…?

Change this :

Protected Sub NSWindowSetStyleMask(NSWindowInstance As ptr, Assigns value As Integer)

2 Likes

Oh, so easy. Thanks a lot.