Remove RPM option from IDE download

Since there doesn’t seem to be a single RPM-based distro that doesn’t flag the current RPM as having a slew of missing dependencies, it might be a good idea to pull it rather than leave it available for download to only frustrate new users when it won’t install.

I’ll also add once more that a compressed tarball using tar’s -P flag is the cleanest method for the time being since teh .desktop and mimetype files can be included an install into the correct location.

Tested against OpenSuSE LEAP, SLES LEAP, SLED LEAP, Fedora 29, CentOS 7.5, RHEL 6/7.

I’m against that.

While Installing via the RPM on hast to ignore the missing dependency - it Installs directly were i want it to be (in /opt/xojo)

If that was a criteria i would have to stop using most Thrid Party RPMs.
For Example in my Leap even the Valentina RPMs don’t install without a Error (Ok. Not with a Wrong or Missed Dependency bit with a RPM not Signed) Error.

Where i am with you is - that Xojo should Optimize / Upgrade their RPM Build System(s) to better build the RPM Packages.
I still think they should look into OBS to optimize this. Because yes OBS can also Build RPMS and DEBS for Binary Only Packages.
Packman from Links4Linux does this for Example for Adobe Flash - which is a Binary - Only Package from Adobe (the Linux TGZ download) which will it the build as RPM for OpenSUSE on the Packman(s)-OBS Server. (Don’t know - never checked - if they build the package for other RPM based Distros…)

Best Regards,

R. Landscheidt

fpm can make the RPMs, DEBs, (and several other packages) in the right formats. I use fpm to make all my linux packages.

Well i don’t know fpm. I only put up OBS as an Example because i’m working Primarily with OpenSUSE Leap - where i heard about OBS. And i now have a small OBS Test Server Running in an VM.

I still have am Manjaro Installation as a option in my Windows, OpenSUSE, Manjaro Linux Multiboot option. But for the last 1 1/2 Year i only booted into Manjaro once a month to Update the System. Mostly i work on OpenSUSE Leap (15.0 at the moment)

@RenLandscheidt I wasnt saying to use FPM over OBS. just adding my 2 cents worth in. fpm tool is a cli tool that takes an “input” and an “output” and makes the conversion. inputs can be things like npm packages for nodeJS, or cpan packages for perl, or rpm/deb/etc or even a directory and it will convert/make it in the right output format. for modules for nodeJS or perl (I know it does other ones but I dont work in their languages much) I use it to make either an DEB or RPM to install on the hosts. I know I can use cpan/cpanm or npm to install packages but myself and my clients to like to have native packages to manage the software

once I get a free moment I will look at OBS.

The issue is that while you and I may have the experience to override the dependencies, most new users do not.

And … a Tar tarball created with the -P option will do the same exact thing - put all of the bits exactly where they belong with NO packaging overhead :).

Try it yourself -

Install Xojo and get things sorted on your favorite distro
Type:

sudo tar -zcPvf MyXojoPackage.tgz /opt/xojo/xojo2019r1 /usr/share/applications/xojo2019r1.desktop # (add mime type files if you created them)
Copy that to any other Linux system and type:

sudo tar -zxPvf MyXojoPackage.tgz
Et Voila - properly installed and picked up by your desktop manager.

This is what I do to make MBS, Einhugur, and my custom plugins ready to go at installation.

FPM and OBS are very different things. OBS does RPM creation as part of the process, but it does far more than that.

Well yes. I know this - just like i know how to install a package with missing dependencys.

I think someone who knows this will also know how to install a package with missing dependencys. The Problem is what you are creating is a new tgz from an already Installed package (RPM or DEB) and extracting this correctly on a “new” system - but the default TGZ is not packaged that way - it would not extract into the correct place - and would not create the menu shortcuts (in /usr/share/applications/). Like i want.

So i would have to extract the default xojo tgz download like this:

sudo tar -xvzf xojo2019r1.tgz -C /opt/xojo

And create the Desktop File (or at least the Menu Shortcut Entry) by Hand.

Please re-read my original post:

That was my entire point - creating the distribution tarball correctly to begin with.