Recommendations for file sharing service?

Can you recommend a download server, where I could make applications available for download? What I expect is a direct link to file to be shared, not to a download page or any in-between loader apps. No adds and speedy download.

Currently I am using my own vps, but somehow it seems like the provider is throttling the bandwidth for such activities - it appears to be quite slow. I would like to find a more reliable solution.

VPS by definition share bandwidth with all the customers on the node. Different hypervisors partition the stream differently. Some providers limit you to a specific speed like say 5/10 gbps as a way or proportioning the uplink. Others it’s a free for all and you are billed for bandwidth consumed.

My suggestion would be a CDN or perhaps S3 if you do not want to consider other VM options.

Just share the dropbox link!

Who’s your VPS provider? I have no troubles at all with DigitalOcean. If you’re expecting a lot of traffic, I would suggest a CDN as well. Amazon S3 is pretty robust unless that one anonymous group of jerks decides to take down Netflix, PayPal, and Twitter all at once.

Amazon S3
Microsoft Azure
Rackspace Cloud Files
(and the list goes on)

[quote=298568:@Tim Parnell]
Just share the dropbox link!
[/quote]
Why not Dropbox?

For delivering your product to the masses? No.

Imagine you clicked “Download” on a product, say Xojo, and it took you to a Dropbox page?
What would you think of the product?
What kind of quality would you expect?
Now they’re asking you for money, but they wouldn’t invest a tenner in hosting?
Where does the money go if it’s not at least partially going into the software?

Personally, I discredit software if the website is a free website and they’re trying to charge for the software.

Also to note, if your bandwidth usage spikes Dropbox disables the file (temporarily?) so users trying to download the software would be blocked.

I like Dropbox, and I use it to deliver files personally, but I would never put a widely available product there to download.

Edit: Changed pronouns to be more general and not sound like I’m specifically targeting some made up person.

Dropbox is the usual suspect first blocked in corporate firewalls. I strongly suggest a CDN like CloudFlare and the others already mentioned.

Amazon S3 or your own file server.

[quote=298605:@Tim Parnell]Imagine you clicked “Download” on a product, say Xojo, and it took you to a Dropbox page?
What would you think of the product?
What kind of quality would you expect?
Now they’re asking you for money, but they wouldn’t invest a tenner in hosting?
Where does the money go if it’s not at least partially going into the software?

Personally, I discredit software if the website is a free website and they’re trying to charge for the software.[/quote]

Hmmm.

Why would it be different what you “think” of the product or its “quality” be different because it is hosted somewhere else??? After all, it is the same product at the same price.

The “Professionals don’t use Dropbox” mindset sounds strangely similar to “Professionals don’t use Xojo (or apps written in Xojo)” … but maybe that’s just me …

P.S. And who says the seller isn’t paying for a Dropbox Pro account? Not that it should matter.

Thank you guys, for the valuable input!

(I confess, I had to lookup “CDN” …)

[quote=298657:@Markus Winter]Why would it be different what you “think” of the product or its “quality” be different because it is hosted somewhere else??? After all, it is the same product at the same price.

The “Professionals don’t use Dropbox” mindset sounds strangely similar to “Professionals don’t use Xojo (or apps written in Xojo)” … but maybe that’s just me …[/quote]

Strongly disagree Markus. I pay for Codesign/SSLand SMIME certs to show my customer that I do care for security, privacy and trustworthy B2B communication. Two of my “bread-and-butter” customers even do not exchange any Files via 3rd-party Hosting Platforms like Dropbox due privacy restrictions. As said, they do block all dropbox, wetransfer etc. platforms straigt in the firewall.

It’s much more easier for admis if you tell them, please put this domain (your own domain) on your whitelist.

If anyone needs a place to host files, I can offer free hosting space… You can either have a sub-domain of my domain, or, if you have your own domain, you can point a sub-domain at my server and use it as a mirror server…

100% free, no banner ads, no link backs to my site, no nothing… Access is via FTP/FTPS and the server is on a 100/100 Mbps connection…

If you’re interested, or just have more questions, feel free to send me a private message…