RealBasic 5.1 compatibility with Yosemite

Hi!
I am still using the RealBasic 5.1 which is adequate for my programs (mostly mathematical and physics). The RB 5.1 works OK in my new iMac 27" under Maverics. I would like to update to Yosemite and still use the RB 5.1. Can anyone give me a hint of the RB 5.1 compatibility with Yosemite?

[quote=145274:@Jukka Tervamäki]Hi!
I am still using the RealBasic 5.1 which is adequate for my programs (mostly mathematical and physics). The RB 5.1 works OK in my new iMac 27" under Maverics. I would like to update to Yosemite and still use the RB 5.1. Can anyone give me a hint of the RB 5.1 compatibility with Yosemite?[/quote]

Have you tried running your source in the current Xojo ?

I don’t know how RB 5.1 will run, but I do know there have been several reports if irregularities with Carbon apps under Yosemite and that RB is only gonna compile Carbon apps.

I have an old computer with Realbasic 5.5.5 on it. Copied the IDE and a couple apps built with it to my new computer running 10.10.1. Trying to run they all generate the message “You can’t open the application “My App” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.”

Though I seam to remember having to rebuild apps from that old computer years ago, I don’t understand how you’re running 5.1 on Mavericks. Wikipedia claims “Rosetta is neither included nor supported in Mac OS X v10.7 “Lion” or later. Therefore, with Lion and later releases, the current Macintosh platform does not support PowerPC applications.” and I don’t see a Carbon switch in RB 5.5.5.

I downloaded the latest Xojo version and run my apps in it. They worked OK once I made a few adjustments like resolved a long list of problems or changed some old pictures from pct format to jpeg.

Back in 2013, I took in Xojo sources of program built at the time (2002) with RB 5.1 which was indeed PowerPC (Forgot since), and after changing code with PICT in it to JPEG, placed them in the Mac App Store where the app sells very nicely.

I have sources from the same era in VB4 as well, that are completely unusable today.

Yes, the RB 5.1 works well in my iMac under Maverics. Here is one of my compiled apps which calculates helicopter performance. Please, tell me if it runs in your Yosemite Macs. If you are interested in the mathematics, there is a link to the mathematical equations on my web page. too.

http://www.tervis.fidisk.fi/Heli/Helicomp.html

I don’t have the faintest idea what your app is calculating, but it draws me lines in the diagrams on OS X 10.10.1. Looks good!

Thank you! My app calculates the helicopter rate of climb performance at different power settings and altitudes. This app was written for hobbyists and experimental helicopter designers/builders, it is not for big companies which have their own programs.
There are sample helicopters included in the program to prove that the program calculation method is on the right track.

My question remains open, should I update my iMac to Yosemite? My programming needs are very small, only one program in about two years. The new Xojo looks great and works OK but is quite an expensive investment for such a small hobby use and non commercial purpose.

The single platform license is the same price as real basic personal - $99
See the entry for Single Desktop at https://www.xojo.com/store/index.php
Buy it once use it as long as you like

If you just run the source code for your app you don’t even need to buy Xojo
Download & run it as long as you want
It just won’t let you compile a version to distribute without a license

And for Yosemite and RB 5: I can’t tell. Chances are high if RB runs on Mavericks it will do so under Yosemite too. There have been some framework changes but not that much and, besides a few ones being 64 bit only now, mostly additions.

In the archived versions I do not find the version number but the release year. What year was 5.5? I would download it and give it a try – not a thorough test but see if it runs under Yosemite.

But sooner or later Apple will remove the Carbon framework for sure. So as Norman said you can always install the latest release and see how much effort would be required to adapt your app.

I have a 5.54 Mac PowerPC here, it is dated November 3, 2004. Ten years is a very, very long time anyway. Seems 5.1 must be sometime in 2003. I found mention of 5.2.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031119063341/http://realbasic.com/

Intel Mac came in 2005. I do not quite understand how the OP can run a PowerPC application under Mavericks…

Maybe someone who was already at Real Software back then can chime in ?

Others may be having success, but we currently only run Yosemite on secondary hard drives for testing. Upon installation, a lot of our natively supported hardware started acting up. Moving back to 10.9.5 resolved the issues, so it is definitely something in Yosemite and not the hardware. I would recommend that you stay with Mavericks and only install Yosemite onto an external hard drive for testing. We’re planning on looking at updating our working systems when Apple ships the 10.10.3 or later update (we have 22 various Macs).

If you are happy with Mavericks, wait! Yosemite is very buggy, some people can no longer use WiFi!

If I remember right, the same occurred with Mavericks at the beginning :wink:

I had one issue with Mavericks, which was a bug, but I found a workaround… That turned out to be very beneficial to my application! With Yosemite, I’m still finding bugs on almost a weekly basis.