Question Regarding Plugin Platforms?

Hello,

I’m on a Mac. Let’s say that I write a XOJO Plugin, say, an implementation of Blowfish…

If I am to compile my application for both Mac and Windows, would I need to have a version of this plugin compiled separately for both Mac and Windows?

Or… Can I write this plugin on my Mac, use it in XOJO, and have it work in both compiled versions of my application for Mac and Windows, or do I need to compile this plugin separately for each platform?

I would appreciate some clarification.

A plugin file (.rbx) is a container that holds a separate library file (.so for Mac, .dll for windows) for each platform. You must create a separate, platform-dependent library for each platform, then you package them into a single plugin file. The compiler extracts the appropriate library file for the platform that you compile for. There is no cross-platform magic in a plugin. You have to provide a solution for each platform.

FYI there is/was an RB source code version of Blowfish floating about somewhere
That code IS x-platform from the get go :stuck_out_tongue:

Tim,
Thanks! Greatly appreciated.
I’ll be making a VM tomorrow with Windows 7 to play around with this.

Norman, I will look… Although for the experience, I would prefer to make my own plugin.

Do either of you have any information on how to compile a xojo plugin on Windows? I’ve read the PDF that was linked to in another thread for doing it on Mac… So I am curious as to how to compile a plugin on Windows.

In practice the MBS plugin version smokes the REALbasic/Xojo version. You can find the REALbasic/Xojo version in the Studio Stable Database client. That code is public domain.

http://StudioStable.com/Database

Well, we already have lots of plugins and blowfish is included. No need to reinvent the wheel.

If you do need help on plugin development, well, we offer consulting on that, too. Including training of course.

[quote=49717:@Christian Schmitz]Well, we already have lots of plugins and blowfish is included. No need to reinvent the wheel.
[/quote]

Devil’s advocate a moment here… If you made a plugin whose input and output were byte compatible with the REALbasic/Xojo version I pointed to or some similar pure-Xojo version, that would be quite valuable. :slight_smile:

-Brad

There a tons of combinations from various paddings and block handling combinations, so without some example code and sample input/output data, it’s difficult.
But you can email me something if you need help.

Please do not use this section of the forum for advertising your plugins or discouraging others from writing theirs, especially when the poster explicitly said “Although for the experience, I would prefer to make my own plugin.”

Sorry.