Question about OS X 10.11.1

Being an avid user of Microsoft Excel I had put off installing El Capitan due to hearing about all of the problems between Microsoft Office and El Capitan. I am still using Office 2011 and supposedly a recent update to it fixes the problem that Outlook had in Office 2011. Today I see that OS X 10.11.1 is available for download. According to the info about it it supposedly has fixes for the Microsoft Office 2016 problems. Looking at it in the Apple Store I see that it is over 6 Gigabytes in size. That makes me feel that it is a complete package and not just an update to 10.10.0.

So, can I download 10.11.1 and install it, replacing Yosemite or do I need to first install 10.11.0 and then install 10.11.1? Got my fingers crossed that I can just toss the download of 10.11.0 and start my adventures with El Capitan at the 10.11.1 version.

Your help on this will be most appreciated.

the “Install <OS Name” installers is a complete install of the O/S at the latest patch version when you download it. So the current one on the MAS store will install 10.11.1, not 10.11.0. Apple wants you to have the latest version of the O/S.

hopefully this answers your question.

Thanks Scott. That’s what I figured but wanted to be sure. Now, if I only had a T1 line coming in to my house it would be a whole log quicker, and easier to keep things updated. Time to fire up the backup Mac and let it do the download and then first apply it to that machine to test out El Capitan before installing it on the Mac that gets the majority of my time.

The pain of an “update first ask questions later” adoption of OS X releases :stuck_out_tongue:
The last one I did that with was about 10.1

You can upgrade to the most recent OSX from any OSX version since the last “paid” version and skip all the ones in between

Just in case, if you are developing with Xojo iOS, then skip the Xcode 7.1 update also just available now. Xojo iOS 2015r3 won’t work with this version. I am running Xcode 7.1 beta (on a beta testing mac mini) and the Xojo iOS Run button is disabled and iOS device selection is blank.

Thanks to all. Looks like I will be giving El Capitan a go tomorrow.

Just search the forums for “Xcode 7.1”
You’ll see we’ve said several times that Xcode 7 with 2015r2 and earlier wont work

To be clear, the Xcode 7.1 update works with Xojo 2015r3. Like any Xcode update, make sure you’ve run it once and agreed/installed tools.

That would be my guess as to why its not working for Cho
Either it has not been run or mmaybe scodeselect needs to be run
But I know we’re using Xcode 7 and 2015r3 and so are other people

Yes, you are right. I just installed the Xcode 7.1 update on the production mac mini and it works.

For some reason, the Xcode 7.1 Beta did not on the beta mac mini, command tools installed. Even checked it with Xcode-select -p and gcc --version shows the path and details. The only other different between this beta mac mini and the poduction mac mini is that the beta machine is running 10.11.1 Beta.

[quote=222781:@Norman Palardy]That would be my guess as to why its not working for Cho
Either it has not been run or mmaybe scodeselect needs to be run
But I know we’re using Xcode 7 and 2015r3 and so are other people[/quote]

Yes I do know Xcode 7 works with 2015r3.

[quote=222767:@Norman Palardy]Just search the forums for “Xcode 7.1”
You’ll see we’ve said several times that Xcode 7 with 2015r2 and earlier wont work[/quote]

Yes I do know that Xojo 2015r2 and earlier won’t work with Xcode 7. This was why I kept Xojo 2015r2.4 on a Yosemite machine where everything Xcode is one released version behind.

I updated to El Capitan last weekend and also use Excel a lot for work. I put off installing the new Office for Mac 2016 due to the complaints about it not working well with El Capitan. Apple released a new software update today which is supposed to fix the issues so I took the plunge and installed Office 2016 this morning - so far everything is working just fine.

Well, I’ve never had any problems with El Capitan and my MS Office 2016…

[quote=222705:@Harrie Westphal]Being an avid user of Microsoft Excel I had put off installing El Capitan due to hearing about all of the problems between Microsoft Office and El Capitan. I am still using Office 2011 and supposedly a recent update to it fixes the problem that Outlook had in Office 2011. Today I see that OS X 10.11.1 is available for download. According to the info about it it supposedly has fixes for the Microsoft Office 2016 problems. Looking at it in the Apple Store I see that it is over 6 Gigabytes in size. That makes me feel that it is a complete package and not just an update to 10.10.0.

So, can I download 10.11.1 and install it, replacing Yosemite or do I need to first install 10.11.0 and then install 10.11.1? Got my fingers crossed that I can just toss the download of 10.11.0 and start my adventures with El Capitan at the 10.11.1 version.

Your help on this will be most appreciated. [/quote]

You can just bypass the 10.11.0 and directly upgrade from 10.11.1. What i am suggesting is to wait a while to upgrade. I see a lot of compliant with the new OS

Even if he does not upgrade, he should have a way to run 10.11.1 in order to support customers who have it.

As for myself, I have upgraded to El Capitan since Beta on a mid 2011 iMac and never saw any issue.

I guess horror stories abound for every single Mac OS X version.

Only since Yosemite! Sure I’ve encountered bugs with the Mac OS before, but never so many and never so serious. These last two years has really cost us in development time as Apple have changed/broken so much functionality that we rely on to create our apps.

I had high hopes that with El Capitan they’d do much better, but from all the complaints I have, it seems that there’s still some issues out there in the wild.

One of the bugs that I filed with El Capitan (and it was fixed quickly) has been present on iOS for 3 years!

I finally updated my production machine yesterday to see if I can reproduce the crashes that my customers are experiencing and thankfully I can, now to figure them out… It’s deep within Core Image…

I’ve also noticed that Windows sometimes show their shadow before the contents, I saw this a lot with a betas but it’s still present in 10.11.1. Weird sloppy, especially when even Yosemite doesn’t do this.

Could it be because the best programmers are affected to iOS-the-bread-winner, and Mac OS X has become the lesser child ?