Purpose of underscore for menuitems

I have noticed in some apps on Windows, when you press the alt key it puts an underscore under certain characters in menu items. What is the purpose of this?

Thanks

Its an 'accelerator key. For example Alt-X quit, Alt-S Save etc. You can set the same in a control by placing the & before the letter you want ‘underscored’ when setting the caption on a control.

Press and hold ALT , then pressing that letter activates the menu item.

The fact that you now have to press the key to SEE that the letter is useful , is yet another questionable decision made in the Windows OS over the last few years. (Its now a user configurable setting, defaulting to what I consider the least useful setting)

Those who grew up with Windows 3 onwards grew used to knowing what the keyboard shortcuts were because you dropped a menu down and there the shortcuts were…

OT:
I have similar issues with the ‘hide extensions for known file types’ option for Explorer.
Causes no end of confusion when you have a folder holding two files with the same name but different extensions (CSV and XLS for example)
And when trying to rename a file by giving it a new extension.

Ah I see. They have made something similar for the ribbon controls.
Thanks

[quote=55455:@Oliver Scott-Brown]Ah I see. They have made something similar for the ribbon controls.
Thanks[/quote]
I may find myself using this functionality in Windows. I have been too scared to touch the & symbol because I did not see the purpose for this underscore.

[quote=55452:@Jeff Tullin]Press and hold ALT , then pressing that letter activates the menu item.

The fact that you now have to press the key to SEE that the letter is useful , is yet another questionable decision made in the Windows OS over the last few years. (Its now a user configurable setting, defaulting to what I consider the least useful setting)[/quote]

Yep

The whole point of the underscore is to have an overview of letters you can hit to select a menu item at a glance and quickly memorize them, hiding the underscores until you hit alt as a default setting is retarded.