Providing source code when reporting bugs to Apple

Hi everyone,

I’ve been testing our app with Yosemite, and discovered a bug related to an MBS plugin that Christian suggested I should report to Apple. Essentially, something odd’s happening with the OS X calendar store where my sample app hangs because OS X is failing to return a 32-bit framework.

Apple’s response to my bug report is to ask for the source code of my test app.

Does anyone have any experience of supplying Xojo code to Apple in situations like this? Does anyone have any tips about how to do so productively? Right now, I’m imagining me having to say “well, there’s this great tool called Xojo, and you’re also going to need to use these plugins from this great third party developer…” and 10 seconds later having my case labelled “Resolved (not reproducible)”.

All advice gratefully received!

you can give them a project. But well, normally they should only need the binary, use a debug copy of the calendar framework and see the issue. Maybe they put a debug breakpoint into the framework.

Thanks for the reply, Christian. This is a similar problem to the one that we discussed last week, and is still present in developer preview 3, so I provided them with the binary in my bug report (along with the relevant logs).

While I could give them a Xojo project and tell them where to find Xojo and which MBS plugins they’ll need to install to be able to reproduce the bug, I kind of doubt that Apple’s engineers would bother to go to all of that trouble.

Maybe I’m wrong about that, but if anyone here has any practical experience of getting Apple to do something helpful about bugs like this (perhaps Xojo engineers have done something similar?) then I’d love to hear from you.

Goto Apple’s Developer forum’s , register for a free account (if you don’t have that or a paid one already). Ask in the appropriate forum about this. You most likely get an answer from an Apple employee that way.

I only follow the Swift forum there , but there are at least 4 Apple employees posting in that one.

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert: I’ll give that a go and report back if I get a useful response.

Personally I’ve never had Apple Engineers ask for the source code for anything.
We’ve supplied sample code to demonstrate a bug but thats usually been a small Obj-C app in Xcode.
I can’t imagine what they’d do with Xojo source code.

[quote=110482:@Norman Palardy]Personally I’ve never had Apple Engineers ask for the source code for anything.
We’ve supplied sample code to demonstrate a bug but thats usually been a small Obj-C app in Xcode.
I can’t imagine what they’d do with Xojo source code.[/quote]

I expect that they don’t realise that it’s a Xojo app at the moment: I just uploaded the built app.

They’d probably like to see the MBS plugin’s code more than your Xojo project I would think. Since the issue is with the calendar framework and the MBS plugin.

Well, it’s simply calling CalendarStore framework and Apple should make sure this framework works well in any 32bit Mac app.

By the way, I have EventKit plugin ready for the time we go 64bit…