Project no longer working with RB2014r2 (Windows) but worked fine in RB2014r1.1

After installing RB2014r2 on my Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit) computer I found that I am no longer able to open my project, instead XOJO.EXE crashes (“Stopped working”) and this is logged in the Event Viewer:

[quote]Faulting application name: Xojo.EXE, version:, time stamp: 0x53ad7490
Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 3.1650.1562.0, time stamp: 0x52d3dd6e
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x001179c0
Faulting process id: 0x1d00
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf9b8fe3f2871f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Xojo\Xojo 2014r2\Xojo.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Xojo\Xojo 2014r2\Xojo Libs\libcef.dll
Report Id: 3680703d-0783-11e4-9afc-e0db55ea47f0[/quote]
The project relies heavily on plug-ins from both Einhugur and MBS and all plug-ins have been updated to the latest versions from these sources but still 2014r2 is a no-go. Updating the plug-ins in my 2014r1.1 installation and everything is still working. I have collected the WAR file from ReportArchive and it fails on loading the icudt.dll file.

I have cleaned the cache folders for Xojo. Reinstalling 2014r2 with a clean plug-in directory and it works fine. I will start moving the r1.1 plug-ins over one-by-one and see if this could help me pin-point the problem.

Please file a bug report. It would be extremely helpful if you could also privately attach your project so we can figure out what’s going on.

You can get a better idea where it’s crashing using WinDbg:

@Michael Diehr :
it’s the IDE that is crashing, not my built app.

OK - I have now narrowed it down do a conflict between Einhugur and MBS that only affects 2014r2 and does not happen in 2014r1.1.

Running Xojo with the full set of MBS plugins (version 14.2) I can compile the MBS examples. When I start adding any of the Einhugur GraphicsFormats 4.1 compilation of the MBS example fails and XOJO.EXE crashes.
Trying to isolate this further it seems like the GraphicsFormat 4.1 is not working as expected (trying PNGImportExport.rb from GraphicsFormat 4.1 crashes XOJO.EXE) when used together with MBS plug-ins in 2014r2 while they played nicely together in 2014r1.1.

GraphicsFormat 4.1 without MBS 14.2 works fine so does MBS 14.2 without GraphicsFormat 4.1…

I’ll see if I can port Einhugur functionality into MBS, I do mainly PNG export/import stuff.

Trying to reliably reproduce this but fails. However, it has nothing to do with my specific project - running examples from MBS or Einhugur causes the 2014r2 IDE to crash repeatedly where as 2014r1.1 is working. Will continue using 1.1 for the moment and see if I can write something up for an error report.

Have seen people saying they’ve had to clear temporary files
Not sure if that would help

lets see if I can find the threads

Between all tries I have removed the directory
and restarted the IDE

…sorry should be the 2014.02… whatever directory (I have uninstalled 2014r2 so I can see the exact name)

Xojo\2014.011 is 2014r1.1

Also look in AppData\Local\Temp


[quote=109902:@Mattias Sandström]@Michael Diehr :
it’s the IDE that is crashing, not my built app.[/quote]

Doesn’t matter, really : the IDE is an EXE too, so you can use the technique on it. However, since it’s the IDE crashing, I bet Xojo Inc. has much better debug tools available than you or I.

OK, struggling for a day now and giving up on RB2014r2 and reverting back to RB2014r1.1.
Even with great help from Björn and Christian I can’t get the combination of their plug-ins to work on my system. They added some great input in the feedback case that I hope someone at Xojo will read.

I have just started to use both MBS and Einhugur (grid and taskbar) in a single app on Windows 8.1 and it appears to be working fine in 2014r2.

Just a totally mad off the wall idea but why not save your project as a Xojo XML file, close Xojo, make sure that it has gone from the Task Manager (sometimes it stays around for a while), then reload Xojo and load the XML project. I am just thinking that maybe the project file is corrupt and by saving it to XML this might rectify any corruption in the binary file.

Sorry, should have said, save the XML in r1.1, and reload in r2.