Project is getting Corrupted often and some times XOJO crashes with no reason

Hello Guys,

It seems that recently I discovered that my project is getting corrupted randomly and some times if I close the project, Save and then close and then Quit Xojo , some times when I start XOJO later in the day I get the project as not saved or crashed and It asks me to open it and save it.

I do that and now I discover that on most of the fields I have the back color as Like transparent color in the IDE and when I press on it it becomes yellow as selected.

I remember having that before on RS versions and now it seems that this issue is coming back.

Any idea how to fast find and replace those background issues ? it is a huge project and to check each field individually it will take me ages.

Project is saved as xojo_project , XOJO Version 2018R4, OS : 10.14.3

Thanks.

Do you have any external items? Even if you don’t use text format you can have your classes external to the project. Also don’t save your icons into the project. A couple of tiny icons make the project file huge.

With the external items you can then use SNV/Git or a similar versioning system. This will save your bacon if you get corruption again.

[quote=424830:@Aurelian Negrea]Hello Guys,

It seems that recently I discovered that my project is getting corrupted randomly and some times if I close the project, Save and then close and then Quit Xojo , some times when I start XOJO later in the day I get the project as not saved or crashed and It asks me to open it and save it.

I do that and now I discover that on most of the fields I have the back color as Like transparent color in the IDE and when I press on it it becomes yellow as selected.

I remember having that before on RS versions and now it seems that this issue is coming back.

Any idea how to fast find and replace those background issues ? it is a huge project and to check each field individually it will take me ages.

Project is saved as xojo_project , XOJO Version 2018R4, OS : 10.14.3

Thanks.[/quote]

Are you saving in a Cloud Folder (Dropbox, iCloud, …) ?

[quote=424832:@Beatrix Willius]Do you have any external items? Even if you don’t use text format you can have your classes external to the project. Also don’t save your icons into the project. A couple of tiny icons make the project file huge.

With the external items you can then use SNV/Git or a similar versioning system. This will save your bacon if you get corruption again.[/quote]
Nope, I guess just the reference to them, all the external files are saved in a DMG file that sits next to the project folder and I do use git for backing up data and doing other things.

no

Can you explain in more detail what you mean with "Nope, I guess just the reference to them, all the external files are saved in a DMG file ". With external items I mean classes and modules, not just icons. My main project just is a collection of the external classes. If the main project goes corrupt then I just restore from SVN. I think since I made the file icons external I didn’t have any corruption anymore. Instead of a 160MB file I now have 3 MB.

Cool, well mostly all my files I was forced to put them in a dmg image and to mount the image every time i start the project as using git my colleagues always had to search for the missing files and update the project and vice versa every time I do a push or a pull, I wish I had all the files in one place and make them git friendly without having to do all this mess, so far this was the best and working way to doit.

For the icons and images I just create image in the project and then add the file from the dmg so I guess I keep them in a way internally than externally . so far my project with the DMG has 1.43 GB and growing.

It will be useful if you would share how to optimize this part so we can avoid having those issues.

XOJO mentioned a while ago about a new project format that would fix those but so far nothing on the horizon so I guess I stick with what it works.

Thanks.