Project help needed.

Hi I’m new here so sorry if this isn’t the right place to post.
I’m currently developing an app for a university project. Essentially this program needs to take data from a user specified database. This database will contain chemical process data and may have a varying number of input variables but only one output variable.

The data then needs to be analysed. This is to be done by each input variable being compared to the output variable via a simple x-y plot. The software has to recognise any natural points of inflexion in the data i.e best fit a curve. And then the x value at these points of inflexion must be stored. I am unsure about how to do any of this.

Any help or references that anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

If you are unsure about any of this, then I have to ask: what is your previous experience with programming, and what is the time frame?

And if this is course-work for a class, then I suggest you show us what you have done, and ask specific questions about aspects that don’t work or you don’t understand. And I assume you are familiar with the equations and algorithms involved in the chemical processes (if not, there is no way you can write a program to do something that you don’t know how to do manually).

The dinosaur of apps for doing an x-y graph is still available at http://www.gnuplot.info/ .

Start in Xojo by reading the documentation. We aren’t going to write the software for you.

P.S. A good starting point are the free DataPlot classes from Roger Meier

http://opensource.the-meiers.org

but here are links to some others too

http://www.aussiedesignedsoftware.com/rbcharting.html

Hey all thanks for the responses. I wouldn’t expect you all to to do my work of course not. In response to Dave S the chemical process itself isn’t important because I’m doing something called fuzzy modelling which in essence learns how to control a process based on previous obtained data. Sort of how a baker just nows how much flour to add from experience. In terms of equations I am familiar with them all and understand them. I am a 5th year chemical engineering student so mathematics is my strong point.

Markus Winter thanks for the resources you have linked i will have a read. My previus experience in programming is limited to Optimization in visual basic with excel. So object programming is very new to me. I will have a look at the DataPlot classes to see if they help.

Upon re reading my post I realize I may have come off as vague and wanting you all to do my work. But it wasn’t my intention. I’m more interested in learning and understanding. Thanks again for taking your time to help.

Object orientation was the biggest jump for me. I remember how it threw me for a loop at the very beginning that a person is an object, not a subject (meanings in German are a bit different from English though) - a computer makes no distinction between a person and a car or a desk. But objects in programming go even further, beyond the physical definition of object: a report, a schedule ,an ancestry, a language, etc etc can all be objects.

There are some good introductionary texts about that … will post links later …

yeah its pretty tough to wrap my head around my current structure is I have a class called variables with a subclass of input variables with a number of properties defining them. Can upload to show what I mean if you like but there is very little code involved as of yet.