Programming in C ?

I already told you about downloading installers that downloads the real application. I will not give names. But I go back there, given them a second chance.

Nowhere they talk about a downloader to the Installer.

Oh, I nearly forgot: to program in C with their software, you must install Jave !!!

No, it is not Eclipse (even if Eclipse ask for Java to let you program in C !!!).

How strange things are nowadays. :frowning:

[quote=216294:@Emile Schwarz]I already told you about downloading installers that downloads the real application. I will not give names. But I go back there, given them a second chance.

Nowhere they talk about a downloader to the Installer.

Oh, I nearly forgot: to program in C with their software, you must install Jave !!!

No, it is not Eclipse (even if Eclipse ask for Java to let you program in C !!!).

How strange things are nowadays. :([/quote]

What are you fearing saying which app it is ? That men in black are going to disappear you ?

So this is about a software I will not tell you about, to program in C, which asks for Java. What is the point in that convoluted description about nothing ?

Come on. Either post nothing, or be precise !

Awake and stand up in the left foot ?

I give you one hint, Eclipse. If you download the C++ version and want to install it, it ask ME to install Java.

Other than that, think at a multi-platform development software that builds for Mac, Windows, Android and iOS that is also Free (like Eclipse), have to download a … downloader (that is its name) to downloads the installer.

Now, if you do not like my post (this kind of posts), do not give answers to it and pay a tribute to John Lennon at Central Park (for example).

Have a better trip.

Emile, your initial post is rather pythonesque…

@Emile: when you post please be more concise. It really helps if you tell us what you want from us. Short sentences, only a few of them.

Eclips IS a Java app. What do you expect?

[quote]Hint

You will need a Java runtime environment (JRE) to use Eclipse (Java SE 7 or greater is recommended). All downloads are provided under the terms and conditions of the Eclipse Foundation Software User Agreement unless otherwise specified.
[/quote]

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

eclipse is available on multiple platforms, so kind a sort of MUST use java to be able to be multiplatform…
even if it’s a “programming in another language” tool.
nothing offensing in that !

What about Xojo?

Xojo does not needs Java installed to work.

Xojo’s download is direct: no need to doswnload first an installer to run to download the whole stuff.

About Eclipse:
If I download a C++ Development environment, I do not await to have to install a JDK/JRE/J whatever. So, I was surprised.
Just like to have to wait half (one) hour to start eating at a… Fast Food (McDonald’s as an example). I had to wait a bit, but a bit only. And I see how efforts they make to find tricks to speed the process (interactive monitors with CB / Money paying process).

I do not wanted to make advertisement (bad or good) for a concurent sofware in a Xojo forums. I was so surprised that I wanted to share the discovery AND get your opinion (to know if it is somewhat a standard practice or not).

By Jove, things are going strange every year / month / week / day… ;-:slight_smile:

BTW: I also wanted to not get the censor scissors…

xojo is a native programming tool, java is not
and there are a lot more platforms where java is available than xojo
even if xojo goes to more and more platforms, java has more
xojo is compiled , and so goes faster than java, but is less widely available that’s all.

Yes and now. The question is what you mean by native.
– Compiling to the target platform (OS X, Windows) vs a virtual machine (Java).
– Do you mean the UI controls? Xojo has native controls but also exceptions, the most prominent one being the listbox. Java has SWT (native controls), AWT and Swing (both with non-native controls).

I thought you were speaking about Eclipse. Which adds only Solaris to OS X, Windows and Linux.

Not true, due to the JITter added a decade ago and other optimizations of the Java VM. That is one of the reasons that a lot of programming languages which have appeared in the last decade have the Java VM as target (Clojure, Scala, Groovy, and others).

Never heard about these…

This looks familiar ;-:slight_smile:

Scala requires you to sing while programming …

No problemo, but I will let you deal with the weather and neightbors ;-:slight_smile:

Java is the programming platform for Android. That makes it at least 50% of the global computing devices market (mobiles and computers combined).

this topic seems as obsfucated as “C” itself can sometimes be.

Fortunately *nix developers can relax and enjoy BaCon.

I do not care about Java (the core of this conversation) and Android. And for iOS…

Be content with whatever makes you happy. The rest is called culture…

For anyone interested to know more on various programming languages:
http://james-iry.blogspot.de/2009/05/brief-incomplete-and-mostly-wrong.html