Product Innovation at its Best

You gotta love how this team comes together creatively…

ABC Nightline - IDEO Shopping Cart

PS. This is the same company that designed the first Apple mouse.

In this clip (@18:55) they mention a scanner to skip skip the line at the checkout. It’s actually not THAT long ago we started using that exact thing…and this clip is how old? :smiley:

https://youtu.be/taJOV-YCieI?t=18m55s

Wow, so you guys actually have scanners in your carts? Haven’t seen any of those in this part of the world yet.

What might work even better is to have an app that scans the bar-codes on the products. That way the store won’t have extra expenses on maintaining these scanners.

I know a while back they threw around the idea to have all products electronically chipped. When the cart moves through checkout it instantly calculates the total, without having to scan each individual item. I’ve always thought this to be a novel idea. For some reason it never took off however.

Any product that can reduce queue lengths is a win in my books.

In Holland in use at one of the main supermarkets from 2009 on-wards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4zv46RjXSc

Not in most “small” food stores but all bigger ones. Super handy. Have had this since about 2005. Thought everyone did and we were that last ones to “get on the train” :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=295104:@Eric Dirks]In Holland in use at one of the main supermarkets from 2009 on-wards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4zv46RjXSc[/quote]

After seeing this video the idea of a barcode scanner as an “app on a phone” doesn’t seem so great anymore. Much more efficient how they did it.

Guess there are still some trains to catch in this part of the world :wink:

So a question… does this self-scanning concept then work on the honesty principle? And what happens if you missed a product by mistake?

Basically what I’m asking is, how does the system reconcile the amount paid with what is in the cart?

Honesty principle with random checks by employees. If you’ve missed something that’s in your bag when you get checked, and it’s your first (known) miss, it’s no biggie. What will happen is that you will be checked more frequently than normal for a period of time. If you never miss anything when checked, the time between the checks is extended. If someone gets caught “missing” a lot they will have their card revoked and has to go back to queueing and probably reported to the to the police for steeling :wink:

I think they actually earn more even if people were to steel every time as there are only one employee for the checkout instead of 4 regular queues.

there are already plenty of them… type “barcode” on the itunes store …

There’s another kind of payment service called Bart here that some stores use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TGDzjZk7q0
You have your Mastercard/VISA connected to Bart, open the app, enter the amount you should pay and then turn your phone’s screen to a QR code reader and the payment is done :slight_smile:
But this way you still have to get your groseries up on the conveyor and then into bags.

The store from the youtube film now accepts your order through internet. They pick the order and you can collect your groceries at the shop packed and all. You can also have them delivered for free (above a certain amount). That works throughout the country, but that’s easy when you have country the size of a poststamp like Holland. :wink:

Correction pickup costs 1.50 Euro (servicefee) and delivery from Euro 3.95 .

McDonald’s, since earlier this year, accept orders through internet. They install Touch Screen orders (done by clients) some months ago. They also added a Table Service: you order to the touch screen, pay using VISA (or cash), take a visit card and teh employee cook the order and deliver it to you on your table (the visit card is locating you).

Ask if I am not crystal clear (that is what I think).

Strasbourg, France.

I have also seen a few pizza places around here starting to accept internet orders, with delivery to your home. That will probably become standard for most fast-food delivery services in time.

Mac Donald’s has been taking Paypal and Internet orders for a couple years in France.

When my credit card number got leaked around a year ago, most of the fraudulent purchases were pizza orders.

Well, my card was cloned back in the early nineties with pretty much brick and mortar, in a gas station.

Since then, I have been extremely cautious. On the Internet, I use either Paypal, or if the merchant does not take it, one time usage virtual numbers.

With all this mess, I cannot understand why people still insist to use their card on the phone, especially now that any mobile phone can be picked up by a kid with a Radio Shack scanner.

I’ve had my card cloned countless times, I pretty much refuse to use it online, mainly just to pay for petrol now. I can’t wait for Apple Pay to become widely adopted.

Although my wife used it the other day and it sent a text message to the phone, including a pin code, which she then had to enter into the site to use the card.

One way to protect yourself from online credit card fraud is to get a second credit card. On this card you then set the credit limit to zero or a very low value.

When you want to purchase something online, you first need top up your card with cash before you can make the purchase. At least with this approach, should anyone try to purchase with the card, it will be declined anyway.

Gift credit cards or prepaid credit cards in countries where they are available are also a good security measure.

That’s what virtual credit cards are for. Only usable for a set amount and the need for a second plastic card is gone :slight_smile: