Problems with OpenDialog

I have a problem with the OpenDialog on Mac OS10.7.5 with the current XOJO. It actually started with RB, but I’m not sure when.
The problem I imagine is with the dialog’s Preview. If the text file is too large (78kb versus something like 10 or 30 kb), the dialog crashes the debugger before the file preview is loaded.
The OpenDialog also has a unique a shape. It fills the screen vertically instead of the usual few inches tall. I can send the error report but if not needed then…
What is going wrong?

post a snippet of code please.

I have dozens of projects using OpenDialog, and have used from them with various versions of OSX with no issue at all

Dim dlgf As FolderItem Dim dlg as New OpenDialog dlg.InitialDirectory= MnStuff.DocFolder dlg.Filter = "Text" //displays open-file dialog ("txt;rtf;csv") dlg.PromptText = PrmptTxt //this is passed via a function call dlgf=dlg.ShowModal

I agree. It makes no sense to me.

The problem of the dialog has progressed to crashing the debugger. I’d include the whole text of the report or just pieces. It is crashing though at that line at the end. It opens the dialog in that full size I described, but doesn’t even complete the dialog. I select a file and it crashes. Suggestions?

This sounds the same as my earlier post.
I had to turn off automatic generation of an icon preview in OSX.
Its not just Xojo.

https://forum.xojo.com/6215-file-dialog-oddities-in-mavericks

Good Idea, but it didn’t work for me. It has something to do with me resizing the dialog window. I made it very large one time and it never reset. I’ve had this for some versions of xojo-RB and Mac, because it was all ported.
Another wierd problem is I’m not getting notifications.

Here’s the report for what it’s worth or some of it

Process: ReviewCards.debug [3474]
Path: /Users/USER/Documents/*/ReviewCards.debug.app/Contents/MacOS/ReviewCards.debug
Identifier: ???
Version: ??? (1.0.0.0.0)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [123]

Date/Time: 2013-11-04 13:18:42.659 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 100265 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 17
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 199088 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 32
Anonymous UUID: F3E8F68D-3320-4C44-B9F3-3DD2C4728425

Crashed Thread: 12

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
objc[3474]: garbage collection is OFF
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘NSRangeException’, reason: ‘*** -[NSBigMutableString getCharacters:range:]: Range or index out of bounds’
*** Call stack at first throw:
(
0 CoreFoundation 0x9bb76a67 __raiseError + 231
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x937ae149 objc_exception_throw + 155
2 CoreFoundation 0x9bade289 +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 137
3 CoreFoundation 0x9bade1f9 +[NSException raise:format:] + 57
4 Foundation 0x9cb24eb1 -[NSBigMutableString getCharacters:range:] + 121
5 CoreFoundation 0x9ba49270 CFStringGetCharacters + 128
6 AppKit 0x945e106c -[NSMutableAttributedString(NSMutableAttributedStringKitAdditions) fixFontAttributeInRange:] + 2257
7 AppKit 0x945e04ef -[NSMutableAttributedString(NSMutableAttributedStringKitAdditions) fixAttributesInRange:] + 79

I found the work around. Change the name of the project and then the size of the OpenDialog reverts to the original.
My problem is I don’t understand how to characterize this as a bug in feedback. Suggestions.

This almost sounds like the OS X app plist (~User/Preferences) got corrupted. Renaming the app might force OS X to create a new one.

Sorry. That’s what I did. I guess that’s how I file it. Resizing the OpenDialog can cause corruption of the OS X app plist (~User/Preferences) . I did a check and nothing is similar, but there are lots of topics for OpenDialog.
I’ll add another.

It’s happening again. The dialog is large again. Maybe it’s because I compiled it and ran it from the same directory, but whatever. How do I get rid of those corrupted hidden files?