Problem on 10.9.5

Hi,
I have a user that reported an error when they open one of my screens on Mac OS 10.9.5

Can carbon apps run on 10.9.5? I am compiling with the 2014 Xojo but getting a weird error.

Here is a jing of the error message:
http://screencast.com/t/HLZ9fjeO

Have you tried to narrow down the nil object? Carbon apps in general work okay on 10.9.5 so I wouldn’t jump to that being the problem without trying to track down the nil object.

I’m thinking you should look for a place where a raiobutton is set by code, called either before the window was open, or while it was closing. Perhaps from a timer or a thread?

I cannot reproduce it on any of our macs in our office so don’t have a way to debug it. It works fine here and also for many customers already using the program. I guess I could upgrade one of our macs to that version and then run it rhu the debugger… just wanted to check first that it was not some incompatibility with 10.9

jim, I don’t use any timers or threads in my code that I am aware of. I will check for radiobuttons though but how does setting that by code make any difference?

On my main window I do move things into visible space depending on the type of client file they create.

[quote=161223:@Tim Turner]for many customers already using the program.

I will check for radiobuttons though but how does setting that by code make any difference?

On my main window I do move things into visible space depending on the type of client file they create.[/quote]
Try a fresh install. Maybe you’re assuming a setting is there and passing nil to a raidobutton set?

I’ve had instances where a timer that updates the interface would fire during window.close and try to set a control that was already closed and raise an exception.

I can get almost the same stack trace by setting a value on a radiobutton after calling close on it from inside a pushbutton’s action.

[code] RadioButton1.Close
RadioButton1.Value=true
exception e as runtimeexception

dim s() As String=e.Stack
[/code]

I appreciate the help but cannot find any cases where I set a radio button after a window is closed.
I don’t even use any radio buttons in my app except on 2 menu item windows. Main window does not use any radio buttons.

Looking through the stack, it calls progressbarcreatepane before it calls radiobutton, are you using any Progress Bars.

Other things to look for are:
Does the user have a control pane called “APE” in their system preferences?
Does the user have this installed? /Library/InputManagers/*/CCILoader.bundle

Last but not least, has the user tried rebooting their Mac? Under Yosemite, several weird issues clear up once the machine is rebooted (I know that they’re on 10.9.5, but it’s still is worth a shot).

I appreciate the help but cannot find any cases where I set a radio button after a window is closed.
I don’t even use any radio buttons in my app except on 2 menu item windows. Main window does not use any radio buttons.

I did find where my code was crashing after realizing my stop in code setting was not turned on. It didn’t have anything to do with progressbars (which I don’t use) or radio buttons that I could find.

Weird. Well thanks for offering your insights anyway. I really do appreciate it.